Standard bred Sumatras

ok so.....

someone raised the question to me recently about a white Sumatra

Of course my daughter being addicted to the Sumatra breed has now decided she needs some.

Any one know of any breeders?

I did read the posts on crossing white phoenix to black sumatras as a project to get the white feathers. Any thoughts on that? I was actually wondering about crossing with a white yokohama also??

I tried to explain to my DD that white Sumatra's are not APA recognized --- her response was if its a Sumatra and its out there She has to have it --- because its a SUMATRA!
There are white Sumatra out there, but very few and far between. They tend to be way off type and with bright red faces because of the Phoenix and Yokohama that were used to make them. Personally I would not use a white Phoenix because you will for several generations be fighting the white earlobes. You will also get floppy combs because of the large single combs on the Phoenix. I recommend a white Cubalaya cock with a profusely feathered tail. I believe there is a lady in one of the far southern states that has a Cubalaya cock that looks a lot like a Sumatra, but is white. I don't know if she would be willing to part with him. Perhaps you could post on facebook asking for information concerning them.

There are white Sumatra out there, but very few and far between. They tend to be way off type and with bright red faces because of the Phoenix and Yokohama that were used to make them. Personally I would not use a white Phoenix because you will for several generations be fighting the white earlobes. You will also get floppy combs because of the large single combs on the Phoenix. I recommend a white Cubalaya cock with a profusely feathered tail. I believe there is a lady in one of the far southern states that has a Cubalaya cock that looks a lot like a Sumatra, but is white. I don't know if she would be willing to part with him. Perhaps you could post on facebook asking for information concerning them.

Would it be better to cross with a white silkie then? The have the dark coloring?

I'm not positive but I think the white sumatras in the UK are fibromelanistic which gives them the dark face and legs. Some folks with blue and dun sumatras battle red faces so there is a link there. We had a BBR araucana hen when I was in high school that was bred to a blue- she threw a few white chicks with black eyes and their faces were more dark red than normal red. I wonder if using recessive white would make a difference.

I'm not positive but I think the white sumatras in the UK are fibromelanistic which gives them the dark face and legs. Some folks with blue and dun sumatras battle red faces so there is a link there. We had a BBR araucana hen when I was in high school that was bred to a blue- she threw a few white chicks with black eyes and their faces were more dark red than normal red. I wonder if using recessive white would make a difference.

That is possible. I have white rocks that throw blue, but I don't think it would be good to cross sumatra and rock

caf.gif

Thanks
Congratulations Zach!

On a different note -
Zach would you be willing to ship sumatra eggs for me to hatch here?

My daughter has officially discovered Bantam Sumatra's and thinks she needs some.  I am considering them as a part of her birthday presents in august =).

If by chance any of you are going planning on making any of the shows in Syracuse, Bath, or Rochester NY this year please let me know.  I'd love to talk Sumatra with you!

thanks and I could ship you some pairs in the late summer early fall or eggs in the spring if you want out of my black pens but I am working on my blues so I won't have any eggs for sale in the spring but possibly older stock in the fall. I am thinking about the Bath show when is it? I know right now I am going to Sussex, Delmarva. Leabon Valley, Central PA club and possibly Lucasville Ohio. I will for sure be attending northeastern poultry congress in Jan of 2016 for I think the ABA national

Last edited:
On the subject of whites it is very hard using recessive gene whites because many recessive gene white birds are the golden gene of whites that through yellowish coloring or smut. To have the best whites that most breeds have you need the silver gene white birds. I have the recessive golden gene faverolles bantams and I am out crossing this year one generation to white D'Uccles to get the silver gene and then breed back to type and no vulture hocks. I was thinking about
Possibly using white Cochins or sultan bantams or even white or light brahma bantams but I think the D'Uccles will work the best IMO. There is a faverolles breeder in Ohio who gave me the D'Uccle idea and will be using some of my line for her out crops this year too.

On the subject of whites it is very hard using recessive gene whites because many recessive gene white birds are the golden gene of whites that through yellowish coloring or smut. To have the best whites that most breeds have you need the silver gene white birds. I have the recessive golden gene faverolles bantams and I am out crossing this year one generation to white D'Uccles to get the silver gene and then breed back to type and no vulture hocks. I was thinking about
Possibly using white Cochins or sultan bantams or even white or light brahma bantams but I think the D'Uccles will work the best IMO. There is a faverolles breeder in Ohio who gave me the D'Uccle idea and will be using some of my line for her out crops this year too.

The silver point is great --- time to do some more breed investigations!!!!

Back
Top Bottom