Standard Cochin or Bantam Cochin?

Chlosal

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
Hi, all! I was wondering if you could help me determine if my Buff Cochin is a standard (as it was sold to me at local feed store) or if it’s actually a Bantam.
I’ve never had this breed before so am not familiar with how quickly they develop. The reason I’m wondering if it’s actually is a Bantam, is because my Black Star (a week or less older) is gigantic compared to it — and I believe that standard Cochins should be larger than Black Stars? Both were sold to me as Pullets.
Here’s the sweet baby at 3 days old:
05584DA1-4F64-4680-9669-808A6B4B8183.jpeg

And now, at just over 2 weeks:
AA301FA1-053D-4540-AFE9-AE5725090CBF.jpeg

Compared to Black Star, from last week, the Black Star has seemed to grow a ton even since this:
722FF011-F4B8-4CAF-A0A1-909FB26B8DBD.jpeg

I will be more than happy either way, but am just curious if those with Cochin-experience could tell a difference and determine if this is indeed a Standard, or not 😁
Thank you,
God bless!

I think that's a standard. Just know that feedstore standard Cochins are not the same size as show quality standard Cochins! And hatcheries can only guarantee an 80% sexing rate or so on chicks that aren't sex linked. So your black sex link is a pullet but the cochin it's too early to tell : D good luck!

I think that's a standard. Just know that feedstore standard Cochins are not the same size as show quality standard Cochins! And hatcheries can only guarantee an 80% sexing rate or so on chicks that aren't sex linked. So your black sex link is a pullet but the cochin it's too early to tell : D good luck!
Thank you for your help!

Pretty sure it’s a standard Cochin. Male or female, too early to tell. I have a blue Cochin hen who is a delight! She comes and sits on my lap and talks to me all the time. She’s pretty low in the pecking order as she’s so docile, but I do plan to have more Cochins in the future, especially if they’re as sweet as she is with me. Here she is napping on my lap.
AA8E8E88-4797-4CC5-BA1A-D4B5195EACB2.jpeg

Pretty sure it’s a standard Cochin. Male or female, too early to tell. I have a blue Cochin hen who is a delight! She comes and sits on my lap and talks to me all the time. She’s pretty low in the pecking order as she’s so docile, but I do plan to have more Cochins in the future, especially if they’re as sweet as she is with me. Here she is napping on my lap.
View attachment 2638467
she is beautiful!! Thanks for the info! 😁

Back
Top Bottom