Standard of Perfection

lots of people have the wrong idea of how a sumatra should look.it makes me mad.
he.gif
they must not go by the standard of perfection because it is wrong on what most of them say.

What should a sumatra look like according to you? I know that we breed our sumatras according to the standard and they look like a sumatra to me. There are some folks out there that have crossed something into their birds and have the huge, loose feathered, domestic/dumpy monster birds that they try to call sumatras and that some judges place well. I will always consider them more of a game type and breed accordingly, they need to have length of leg, closer feathering but not really hard feathered, a small pea comb, and just have the flow that sumatras have.
I was at a show talking to a guy that has some birds that are too domestic. He said he likes them to be calm and large. We always try to keep them a smidge on the wild side. An example is that our broody raised birds that act feral always tend to have a better look to them and show better than the calm birds that we hatch and raise with other chickens.

I really would like to know your thoughts on this topic

lots of people have the wrong idea of how a sumatra should look.it makes me mad.
he.gif
they must not go by the standard of perfection because it is wrong on what most of them say.
Due to the subtlety of the text and odd phrasing it can be hard to pick out what's being said exactly, but what I got out of it is this: that "they" is refering to the people in the first sentence who have the wrong idea of how a sumatra looks and hence they are therefore wrong because of what they say, which doesn't appear to go by the standard of perfection. Not that the Standard of Perfection itself is wrong.

Correct?

Last edited:
I agree the SP should be our bible I am starting to breed Bantams and will show if I raise anything good. Here is my question I have shown Quarter Horses Mules and Mini Donkeys the judges don't go by the standard when you ask them why they tied that way they say that is one I like best.Am I going to find the same thing in Chicken Judges?

I agree the SP should be our bible I am starting to breed Bantams and will show if I raise anything good. Here is my question I have shown Quarter Horses Mules and Mini Donkeys the judges don't go by the standard when you ask them why they tied that way they say that is one I like best.Am I going to find the same thing in Chicken Judges?

I hope not. It's not supposed to be about what a judge likes, it is supposed to be the bird that best fits the Standard description. A judge of any animal should be able to explain why they picked a certain animal.

Walt

Due to the subtlety of the text and odd phrasing it can be hard to pick out what's being said exactly, but what I got out of it is this: that "they" is refering to the people in the first sentence who have the wrong idea of how a sumatra looks and hence they are therefore wrong because of what they say, which doesn't appear to go by the standard of perfection. Not that the Standard of Perfection itself is wrong.

Correct?

Good point, thanks for the translation. Unless "they" are judges, it should not matter a whole lot.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom