Standard Roo over Bantam Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RobandSue2, Jul 2, 2017.

1. RobandSue2

RobandSue2 Chirping

Jan 22, 2016
    New Hampshire
    i have a standard rooster that mates with my Bantam hens....we had a girl go broody so we set some of the eggs and sure enough they are fertile. Has anyone done these crosses? What have been your results?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    It's generally not recommended since that typically presides a medium size chick and the egg is small. The other way around is done and I've done it many times. What breeds are your birds? A bantam Brahma is much bigger than a Sebright so just saying bantam doesn't say a lot. The same with a Hamburg v Jersey giant for large fowl

3. RobandSue2

RobandSue2 Chirping

Jan 22, 2016
    New Hampshire
    It is a Buff Cochin Bantam hen with an Ameraucana Rooster....so perhaps terminate now?

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Do you think the egg size will be large enough to support the larger developing chick is the question. Take a small bird like Jaerhorn, it lays a medium to large egg so could easily hatch out a cross to large bird.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I have hatched some LF X Bantam chicks in the past (unintentional). They turn out to be basically bantam size (maybe a little bigger) and lay a medium size egg.
    You may end up with some EE bantams out of that cross. I had a hen hatch some eggs that were from a d'Uccle/game hen crossed with a LF EE cockerel. All the pullets laid little blue eggs.

Priscilla's mom likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

They grow to accommodate the egg....:th
    No issues......The eggs will hatch......:frow

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I have a huge Brahma and a Silkie cross Hen...He has never bred her because she is way too fast for his advances..I do use her to Brood though ......Currently she is setting 7 eggs....

8. RobandSue2

RobandSue2 Chirping

Jan 22, 2016
    New Hampshire
    The day i discovered broodiness was a great day....unbelievable ease....
    This is my 4th Cochin bantam that has gone broody this spring/summer....its been great
    Thanks for the remarks...hoping I have an interesting cross then...

9. DurangoChickens

DurangoChickens In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Durango, CO
    I have a dutch bantam hen that has gone broody and I was going to let her set her own eggs, my rooster is a Yokohama, those hens lay eggs that are not much bigger than the dutch bantams... do you think this would work out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: