Standard Roo over Bantam Hen

RobandSue2

Chirping
Jan 22, 2016
New Hampshire
i have a standard rooster that mates with my Bantam hens....we had a girl go broody so we set some of the eggs and sure enough they are fertile. Has anyone done these crosses? What have been your results?

It's generally not recommended since that typically presides a medium size chick and the egg is small. The other way around is done and I've done it many times. What breeds are your birds? A bantam Brahma is much bigger than a Sebright so just saying bantam doesn't say a lot. The same with a Hamburg v Jersey giant for large fowl

Do you think the egg size will be large enough to support the larger developing chick is the question. Take a small bird like Jaerhorn, it lays a medium to large egg so could easily hatch out a cross to large bird.

I have hatched some LF X Bantam chicks in the past (unintentional). They turn out to be basically bantam size (maybe a little bigger) and lay a medium size egg.
You may end up with some EE bantams out of that cross. I had a hen hatch some eggs that were from a d'Uccle/game hen crossed with a LF EE cockerel. All the pullets laid little blue eggs.

I have a dutch bantam hen that has gone broody and I was going to let her set her own eggs, my rooster is a Yokohama, those hens lay eggs that are not much bigger than the dutch bantams... do you think this would work out?

Back
Top Bottom