Standing up on perch at night ? Newbie worried ....

ROSEWOODCHICKS

Chirping
Jul 26, 2023
I have seen a couple of threads on this topic, however - chickens are new to me ! - 1 week on Sunday ... first night they all crowded outside pop hole and I gently encouraged them in, most stayed on the ground in the hen house, second night 3 went in and sat on roost bar (2x4 - 4" side on flat surface), 3 stayed outside and again gently encouraged in ... now all go to bed happy and all are on roost bar .... spread out - 4 bunched together on end and 2 further away ... roost bar is 1.8 mtrs / 6 ft approx long - 6 chickens ... so have enough space to be comfortable

What I have noticed even up to an hour after dark they are all stood up on the roost bar ?

Is this just normal... will they all settle down later and sleep ?

Maybe I should check at a later hour or very early before sunrise ?

I have thought about changing bar to a 2x3 - 3" on flat to see if that helps them ? They are medium sized hens - Ranger Hybrids... approx. 22 weeks old ...

Just worried there maybe a problem ? (I didn't realise how deeply and quickly I would become attached to them ! )

Heath wise they all seem perfect - Egg production is 100% - 6 a day each day after day 2 ... poop all looks completely normal ...eating and drinking spot on ... happy friendly hens .. dust bathing regularly ..

Mine roost on the 4" side of a 2x4 just fine. I don't think you need to change that. If they're laying, eating, drinking, pooping normally then I wouldn't worry about them settling in. You didn't say if you have a camera in there or if you are going out and checking on them in person after they are roosting. If you're going out there they may be responding to seeing or hearing you. If you do have to go check on them after they are in bed use a red light so as not to disturb them.
I wouldn't worry, they sound fine. When I first put mine out in the coop it took them a little time to get used to everything and in a routine.

It is normal for chickens to stand up while roosting at night. Mine do that during the hot nights in summer as a way to cool down. If your chickens are healthy, doing all the chicken stuff, you shouldn't worry about it.

It's normal, sometimes they sleep standing up. Prey animals don't sleep the same way we do. They don't go into a deep coma and wake up 8 hours later, they don't have the luxury of doing that - they need to be alert even when sleeping, and be ready to escape if there were any danger. So they sleep very lightly and for short bursts, and can sleep either standing or sitting. I have a camera in my coop and I stay up very late often, either working or doing house chores, and I have checked on my chickens via the camera at all hours of the night - and there's always somebody moving, shifting position, preening, looking around. You'd think they never sleep! But they do, it's just that they don't look the same as us when they sleep. If they are healthy and acting normal, there's no need to worry. And no need to replace the roosting bars - the ones you currently have are just fine (and 4" is better than 3" so definitely no need to replace them).

sometimes a few days but sometimes a few weeks to figure it out and default back to nature. They have a lot of things to figure out (e.g., which is the best spot, the coldest spot, the pecking spot, the get constantly pushed to move over spot...the list goes on). I wouldn't be too concerned.

It is normal for chickens to stand up while roosting at night. Mine do that during the hot nights in summer as a way to cool down. If your chickens are healthy, doing all the chicken stuff, you shouldn't worry about it.
Thank you ! does put my mind at rest .... we do have a few days of hot weather here for the UK - 30 c at the moment ... some are in the run (well shaded!) with wings (shoulders ??) slightly open / lifted and mouths slightly open... Just changed their water again for fresh cold ....

It's normal, sometimes they sleep standing up. Prey animals don't sleep the same way we do. They don't go into a deep coma and wake up 8 hours later, they don't have the luxury of doing that - they need to be alert even when sleeping, and be ready to escape if there were any danger. So they sleep very lightly and for short bursts, and can sleep either standing or sitting. I have a camera in my coop and I stay up very late often, either working or doing house chores, and I have checked on my chickens via the camera at all hours of the night - and there's always somebody moving, shifting position, preening, looking around. You'd think they never sleep! But they do, it's just that they don't look the same as us when they sleep. If they are healthy and acting normal, there's no need to worry. And no need to replace the roosting bars - the ones you currently have are just fine (and 4" is better than 3" so definitely no need to replace them).
Thank you - I am looking at cameras ... just need to get a wifi extender to get signal at the top of the garden ...

Thank you ! does put my mind at rest .... we do have a few days of hot weather here for the UK - 30 c at the moment ... some are in the run (well shaded!) with wings (shoulders ??) slightly open / lifted and mouths slightly open... Just changed their water again for fresh cold ....
They do that as a way to cool off. I float frozen water bottles in my waterer to keep it cool longer so I don't have to refill it all the time and if you have a fan that can help too.

Depending on your situation(?) what might help:
  • more ventilation if its warm inside. if its get stinky and the poop stays moist inside the coop you need more ventilation.
  • rounded edges on the roost bar so they can curl their toes around the roost bar.
Its normal that chickens need some time to figure things out. But my experience is that chickens choose what is most agreeable for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom