Standlee Flock Fresh

Welcome to BYC!

That stuff is a waste of money, IMO....all it is is straw, hay, and zeolite.
Many folks swear by it and love it tho.
There's another company that sells about the same thing, can't remember what it's called tho, has a fan club thread here somewhere.

Have zeolite mixed with sand on my poop boards, the zeolite does work well to absorb ammonia.
Can buy zeolite in 25# bags for about $10 in the horse aisle at farm store, I go thru a few a year.

Straw I use as nest bedding, $4-5 bale lasts me a year or more......
......also throw thin layers down on ice and snow in the run in winter.

I have a bale of hay that someone gave me, I throw down a flake once in while for amusement,
especially inside the coop during nasty winter weather.

I use farm store large flake pine shavings on coop floor, start with an inch or two, add to it once in while,
then totally change it out once a year in the fall.

Last edited:
Subscribing for an eventual update once you get it, please! I have a bag of pdz (zeolite), and a bag of chopped alfalfa sitting in my garage, both of which go in the chicken run along with pine shavings for them to pick through. Read about this stuff and was wondering. Sure you could buy separately and mix it but the chopped straw sounds appealing as opposed to the big pieces matting down.

Ok no worries i'll let you know ! They won't be in the coop for another 3 weeks but I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it works .. I'm lazy and like things already mixed lol so if I could do it easier I will haha

So how did you like the Flock Fresh?

I haven't used Flock Fresh, but do use the Koop Klean product that is similar. Koop Klean is heated to get rid of mold etc., don't know if Flock Fresh is. While Koop Klean to me is super expensive ($18.99 per bale) and I use at least 2 for the summer & more in the winter, I really like it. It keeps my coop smelling fresher in the winter. I have a problem with wetness at times which I think is floor condensation. I had been using equine pellets under pine chips for the winter, but this stuff does the job & is lighter to shovel out in the spring. It also doesn't get hard as a rock when I fail to turn it properly under the roosts. It also breaks down faster in my compost, because the straw is chopped small. I have seen regular straw used on Alaska the Last Frontier & that appears to turn into a large wet mess in the winter. It really depends on how much you value your time over money to keep your coop clean! I do think the chickens prefer the chopped straw especially in the nest boxes. YMMV.

I would like to know your opinion of it too. I'm thinking of trying it in our coop, in place of pine (not phone) shavings. :lau

Back
Top Bottom