Standoffish Australorps chicks

TurkeyMountainChickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Central Virginia
Hi!

My other chicks (Langshans, Americanas, Wyandottes), were all eating out of my hand by a week old. By two weeks, they were eating the occasional treat - strawberry tops, grass clippings, cracked barley, etc.

I have recently acquired four australorps pullets. They're three weeks old, and we've had them for two weeks. So far, they won't even look at any food in my hand, and won't even peck anything that isn't starter crumble.

I've seen posts that Australorps were good foragers, but so far these pullets show no indication. Have any others had this experience with 'Lorps?

Thanks!

I have 50 chicks including Astralorps, EE's and Wyandottes. I have no experience with Langshans. If you got your so-called ameracaunas from a hatchery such as MM or Ideal, they are EE's, not Ameraucanas. Feed stores usually get chicks from hatcheries.

My Australorps are by far the friendliest of my bunch, will eat out of my hand and jump on my knee when I sit with the chicks (7 weeks now.) I also have an Australorp hen who is he leader of my small free range flock. She tolerates my picking her up, but is not what some would call friendly.

I suspect your Australorps just need a little more time to adjust to their new surroundings. Chickens do not tolerate change well. Hopefully they will adjust in time.

I have Australorps and I like them, they are very good layers and they do forage, but I think they are kinda spazzy. They are the ones that freak out when I shoo them back in the coop. They are good birds to have in the flock though and beautiful birds!!
big_smile.png

I too love my australorps. However, I think you just need some time to establish a bond and trust with them. My chickens come to me and listen to my voice whenever I am out in the yard because I am the one who feeds and cares for them. But they ignore the rest of the family and just go about their own business. They are not unfriendly towards others, but you can tell I have a different relationship with them. After a while they will adjust to your routine and presence and come to see you as the food provider. They will forage when they get outside, so don't worry too much on that score. Don't give up holding them and loving on them. They will grow up watching for you to come with treats and food eventually. Mine love bananas more than anything, but my other chicks could care less(at least for now). So, maybe they need more time to find a treat they really like. If not, they are content with crumble and that is fine too.
wink.png

I think it is because you did not have them from day 1. I inherited two Austraulorp hens who pretty much did their own thing for the first few months... We lost one to a fox last month
sad.png
but she and her sis had come around. Rosie, the one we have left is just a doll and very sweet.

Our Black Australorps are very calm and quiet. Interesting ...they're at the top of the pecking order, even though I never see them scrapping or being mean with other hens.

Ours have never really eaten from my hand. And we do have hens in other breeds that readily hop on my knee or fly up on my arm/shoulder. But the BAs will come right under my feet and they'll croon at me when waiting for treats.

They lay great and I agree they're very pretty. I have one who is a wonderful broody.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom