Starlight green Egger 25 weeks old, no eggs yet, possible infection?

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey there! So, I have a starlight green Egger (a hatchery type from Hoover’s)

She is now 25 weeks old... I’m wouldn’t be too worried about laying except for the fact that it looks like she’s been ready to lay for about 8+ weeks but there’s been no eggs.

She started looking like she was ready to lay at about 16 weeks, big, red comb, squatting, eating oyster shell, etc.

We had a small problem with egg eating, but put some fake eggs in and it seemed to stop. I had originally thought that was the cause for 0 green eggs, but once it was cleared up, still none. I waited a bit longer to see if maybe she was just taking a while, but I still haven’t seen any colored eggs besides my Easter Egger Yuki who lays green/blue eggs that are very long, which I know are hers (she’s 3 years old)

I then assumed she was laying brown eggs, (I’ve seen some smallish light brown eggs recently, though I had originally assumed they were coming from my other 7 chickens that are that age)

But... one day I went out to the coop, lifted up the nest boxes, and Sam was in there... I needed some eggs for a recipe, so I picked Sam up to see if there were any eggs under her, but this clearish, thin, mucous-y Stuff came out of her vent. I out her back then ran up to get my phone to get a photo, but by the time I got back she was out of the nesting box (no new eggs)

Any ideas? This was her at 18 weeks old.

Attachments

• E3056EFB-B451-45BA-85B3-628745A6D0D3.jpeg
    E3056EFB-B451-45BA-85B3-628745A6D0D3.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 20
Do you have oyster shell available to them along with their regular feed? The watery liquid could be a 'not yet perfect production line' sign, it can take a little while for the system to get everything right, maybe that was some egg white?

If you want to see if she has ever laid an actual egg, check her pelvic bones and vent.

Right below her vent are the pelvic bones. If they come together in a sharp point and cannot be gently moved apart, chances are she's not yet laid an egg. Looking at the vent itself can give you some clues. If she's laying her vent will be more of a large oval shape.

Timing wise- I've had looks-ready-to-lay hens go well past 25 weeks before they squeezed out that first egg. Check to make sure she's got plenty of calcium available, hopefully things iron themselves out soon.

Sounds like you need to just wait her out.

Do you have oyster shell available to them along with their regular feed? The watery liquid could be a 'not yet perfect production line' sign, it can take a little while for the system to get everything right, maybe that was some egg white?

If you want to see if she has ever laid an actual egg, check her pelvic bones and vent.

Right below her vent are the pelvic bones. If they come together in a sharp point and cannot be gently moved apart, chances are she's not yet laid an egg. Looking at the vent itself can give you some clues. If she's laying her vent will be more of a large oval shape.

Timing wise- I've had looks-ready-to-lay hens go well past 25 weeks before they squeezed out that first egg. Check to make sure she's got plenty of calcium available, hopefully things iron themselves out soon.
Thanks! I guess I’m a bit over-worried at points. I’ll check her pelvic bones and see. I feed an all flock feed (to keep things simple, with integrating younger chickens, and some of my hens are 3+ years and slowing down) but I do have a free choice oyster shell container as well.

Chances are she's just fine. Hopefully it's just the initial getting ready to lay kinks getting worked out. And really - for her age- she should have enough calcium on board that developing a shell shouldn't be an issue- of course, always have the oyster shell out! I'm the same way- there are always babies and older hens and roosters - so I went to an all-flock option too. So much easier!
Thanks! I guess I’m a bit over-worried at points. I’ll check her pelvic bones and see. I feed an all flock feed (to keep things simple, with integrating younger chickens, and some of my hens are 3+ years and slowing down) but I do have a free choice oyster shell container as well

Back
Top Bottom