Starlight Green Egger

I got two last year, I've found them to be more standoffish, active, very alert and hard to catch, lay lighter minty green eggs. I had an olive egger project this year, so I looked into the background of the Starlight green egger. Cross of a Prairie Bluebell egger and a "brown egg layer"(I am thinking a RIR?). Then I looked up the Prairie bluebell egger, which I discovered is a cross of araucana and white leghorn.

4/18/2019, Sandstone, Starlight Green Egger #1. Day I got her. Loved the wing pattern.
View attachment 2254723
5/1/2019 Sandstone, Starlight Green Egger #1
View attachment 2254725
And grown:
View attachment 2254731
=======
4/18/2019, Day I got her. Paprika, Starlight Green Egger #2. I really loved the light and dark contrast of her wings against her body.
View attachment 2254763
Grown:
View attachment 2254770

Together:
View attachment 2254773

So I crossed them with a Penedesenca rooster:
4/10/2020 "Carrot Cake", Sandstone's chick
View attachment 2254778
4/19/2020 Carrot Cake, Same kind of wing pattern his mother had.
View attachment 2254782
5/16/2020
View attachment 2254799
6.27.2020 Carrot Cake 11 weeks 2 days
View attachment 2254800

And here is the reason why I looked more into the SGE mix:
4/10/2020 "Three Spot" Creamy yellow with three black spots. Paprika's chick.
But wait, there's more....
View attachment 2254803

4/26/2020 "Three Spot". I noticed something really interesting about him, look at the comb, that is more like a buttercup comb in the back. Neither Penedesenca had combs like that when they were chicks, the carnation in the back developed later, and not so much in the roo (mine are hatchery stock)
View attachment 2254809

Fast forward:
6.27.2020 "Three Spot", 11 weeks 2 days. Whaaat? He got a crest! and he's got legs that go up to there!
1f603.png
White Leghorn showing I think.
View attachment 2254817
6.27.2020 Three Spot 11 weeks 2 days , close up of his comb:

View attachment 2254824

I was NOT expecting a crest and that comb from the cross, I am guessing there might be Crested Cream Legbar in the SGE mix. Possibly they used that instead of aruacana once? It does not explain the comb, unless I am missing something. I have some polish X olive egger that have this kind of comb, too.
Three Spot is a still a nice boy, friendly, more so than his mother. Carrot Cake is starting to show some 'tude, I'd had to chase and catch him one day and He Didn't Like It, so now he Angles His Back at me, and makes noises.
That comb and the crest aren’t recessive traits, so they couldn’t have come from two parents that don’t show those traits. I’m guessing your cockerel is actually a polish cross.

I have seen very little information about this breed anywhere so I wanted to track my own findings and experience in case others need the information.

First off, we were interested in a colored egg layer for our kids. I showed up before noon at my local Rural King and they had already sold out of all 50 Easter Eggers. There was two people in line in front of me and only 6 of these little Starlight Greens left. The employee said they also would lay colored eggs in a blueish green hue. The gentleman in front of me was also a parent looking to expand his flock for his kids. We discussed it as we were waiting and he asked me how many I was wanting so long story short, he left me two of these cute little chicks. I chose a dark brown one and a blonde one so I could see the differences as they grew.

A little back research I found out after... a green egger is a cross between a blue egg and brown egg layer. This specifc breed of Starlight Green is from Hoover Hatchery and is a cross between a Praire Bluebell Egger and a brown egg chicken.

I found an image that I will post from Hoover of what the Praire Bluebell eggers look like. Our two have ended up looking really close to this image.

Here is our journey!

I bought my first two in March and at 21 weeks old they started laying beautiful eggs. One of my hens is beyond social and very loving. Great breed for my first time as a Chicken Momma.

Attachments

• 846F9EF7-3ED1-4E56-A097-D3A2DA9278AB.jpeg
    846F9EF7-3ED1-4E56-A097-D3A2DA9278AB.jpeg
    806.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 7DFDBC3B-D4F0-4185-9FA3-B37A8C8550DC.jpeg
    7DFDBC3B-D4F0-4185-9FA3-B37A8C8550DC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
Oh my gosh! You guys are answering ALL my questions with this thread !!!! I have the same birds and was confused on what they all were because your right there’s not much out there…. I’m sooo happy now. I have two of the light and two of the dark🤗

Been looking up SGE this morning- did yours lay yet? Mine is almost ready….

Attachments

• 9AC02B25-19CB-467F-8EA2-90A57970F372.jpeg
    9AC02B25-19CB-467F-8EA2-90A57970F372.jpeg
    820.5 KB · Views: 57
That comb and the crest aren’t recessive traits, so they couldn’t have come from two parents that don’t show those traits. I’m guessing your cockerel is actually a polish cross.
Hmmm, I am trying to remember if the buff polish roo was around the SGEs before I put the Penedesenca roo and SGE hens together. There was one, and I don't recall when we'd rehomed him. We did get a LOT of buff polish roo x Olive egger (she was part CCL) crosses, and they do have that comb & crest. It's also possible I mistook the egg for a SGE when it was my crested cream legbar, which would also explain the crest.

Paprika and Sandstone are still chugging along, still a bit skittish, haven't seen any eggs from them in a few months, but it is winter.

Hmmm, I am trying to remember if the buff polish roo was around the SGEs before I put the Penedesenca roo and SGE hens together. There was one, and I don't recall when we'd rehomed him. We did get a LOT of buff polish roo x Olive egger (she was part CCL) crosses, and they do have that comb & crest. It's also possible I mistook the egg for a SGE when it was my crested cream legbar, which would also explain the crest.

Paprika and Sandstone are still chugging along, still a bit skittish, haven't seen any eggs from them in a few months, but it is winter.
A cream legbar x partridge penedesenca (assuming he’s partridge?) wouldn’t produce a chick with so much white.

Back
Top Bottom