Start antibiotic or wait...

kalynn

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
Hello, our 7 month old Ameraucana started with a little sneeze about 5 days ago. She also sounds a lil funny when she is clucking in her pen... I started her on the vet Rx and it seemed to help, but just a little. Yesterday she started having very watery poop. I'm not sure what to do. I have Tylan 50 should I start her on that and if so how much and for how long??? We are new to chickens and she has become our absolute favorite... I hate that she isn't well. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

try to give her a little bit of water with a dash of sugar in it. if she wont drink take a kitten bottle with a long nipple and drop the sugar water into her mouth. Is she eating?

If you decide to use the tylan the dose for large bird is 1/2 cc small birds 1/4 Cc Given once daily into the breast muscle for 5 days. I would start the tylan if she has any coughing wheeze or mucus present.listen closely to her breathing. If her tail bobs up and down during breathing she is likely struggling for breath and I would start the tylan then as well. Watch her very closely and if symptoms worsen or above is present I would treat. Just so you know if what she has is viral the antibiotic won't kill a virus but can prevent a deadly secondary infection. Only way to know if it's viral is through testing. Even if viral antibiotic can prove helpful as I mentioned above for secondary infection.i hope this helps. Best wishes

Welcome to BYC. Sneezing can be from dust in the coop or feed, from ammonia fumes and moldmold, and from diseases such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum, coryza, and others. For just a sneeze, I wouldn't use antibiotics, but for snots, watery eyes, rattles or wheezing, and swelling of the eye or face, Tylan50 would be best. Here is a list of common diseases for your reading: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you so much... She is currently eating, but I will try the sugar water.

Thanks for the dosage information on the Tylan... I will listen to her again when I get home from work and decide what should be our next step...

Thanks so much for the information we really do appreciate all the help!

Back
Top Bottom