Start more chicks or wait?

You know, I've never been asked what my chicken goals are! 😂 Seems like I better get myself all sorted out! We moved back out to the country after a 15 year stint in the "city". Egg laying pets, I guess you'd call them! 😁

I ask because it makes a difference in how you manage your flock. If for example you didn't even want the eggs, then staggering for egg production is pointless. I keep chickens as both pets and for the eggs, so that's why I add in small numbers of new chicks every couple of years... keeps the numbers manageable and keeps me in eggs regularly.

If they’re not free ranging outside of that area, 10x10 will get very small very quickly and they could become bored and frustrated and start pecking / fighting each other (the hens, not just the roosters). It will also become super muddy very fast and create poor bio security.
Ah, yes, absolutely! I could see that happening if there were in there more. (Who would've thought hens would do the peck and fight business?!) I think we're good on that front as where we live now they're able to spend all their time outside ranging; they only go into the pen at night to roost on one side, then I let them out in the morning, though it isn't early enough in their opinion. 🤭

I ask because it makes a difference in how you manage your flock. If for example you didn't even want the eggs, then staggering for egg production is pointless. I keep chickens as both pets and for the eggs, so that's why I add in small numbers of new chicks every couple of years... keeps the numbers manageable and keeps me in eggs regularly.
Yes, eggs would be awesome. I think I was just hesitant before diving right in; I wanted to make sure that this was all something we could handle. I can see that the staggering makes sense---mental note made on that!

Ah, yes, absolutely! I could see that happening if there were in there more. (Who would've thought hens would do the peck and fight business?!) I think we're good on that front as where we live now they're able to spend all their time outside ranging; they only go into the pen at night to roost on one side, then I let them out in the morning, though it isn't early enough in their opinion. 🤭
Oooh ok. I thought they were cooped up in this pen all the time.
Yes, hens are sweet to us but they can be nasty to each other... picture a work environment with all women. Issues are bound to arise lol

I think we're good on that front as where we live now they're able to spend all their time outside ranging;
Course free ranging will reduce your numbers more.

Sadly, I found the feathers.
:(

Oooh ok. I thought they were cooped up in this pen all the time.
Yes, hens are sweet to us but they can be nasty to each other... picture a work environment with all women. Issues are bound to arise lol
:gig Pen full of males will have more issues ;)

Back
Top Bottom