Start of Angel Wing?/Protein Problem?

CarleeAnn

Crowing
Apr 29, 2017
Louisiana
This is my female Blue Swedish duck, born in April so approx. 9 months old now. She has always been a bit on the heavy side and sometimes seems to get wet (which she is currently in the picture), she dries off fairly quickly if kept away from pond or mud. Her current layer food had 20% protein, which I have heard could be too high- I am transitioning her to 18% all flock with oyster shells. She is laying eggs again (took about a month off), and other than these feathers on her thighs- not flight feathers- seems perfectly healthy. She’s a happy and active duck and her “sister”, a Cayuga is very healthy and has the same lifestyle.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• AB38264D-BD09-4FA1-964F-5E7620059666.jpeg
    AB38264D-BD09-4FA1-964F-5E7620059666.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 21
This is my female Blue Swedish duck, born in April so approx. 9 months old now. She has always been a bit on the heavy side and sometimes seems to get wet (which she is currently in the picture), she dries off fairly quickly if kept away from pond or mud. Her current layer food had 20% protein, which I have heard could be too high- I am transitioning her to 18% all flock with oyster shells. She is laying eggs again (took about a month off), and other than these feathers on her thighs- not flight feathers- seems perfectly healthy. She’s a happy and active duck and her “sister”, a Cayuga is very healthy and has the same lifestyle.

Thoughts?
PM miss Lydia she is awesome with ducks!

They do look to be sticking out a bit but angel wing usually starts showing up much earlier. For now just keep an eye on her if you notice it getting worse then you have the option to wrap. But she already has her flight feathers so you'd probably have to wait till she molted out these and started growing them back before wrap would help. I'd just keep an eye on her for now. She sure is pretty and doesn't look over weight to me. If you think she is cut back on treats.

They do look to be sticking out a bit but angel wing usually starts showing up much earlier. For now just keep an eye on her if you notice it getting worse then you have the option to wrap. But she already has her flight feathers so you'd probably have to wait till she molted out these and started growing them back before wrap would help. I'd just keep an eye on her for now. She sure is pretty and doesn't look over weight to me. If you think she is cut back on treats.

Okay! Thank you. I know I’m a Worry Wart. I’ll keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom