Start of day 23…no pips and no noticeable movement

SelfSufficientMe

Songster
Mar 17, 2022
Central Florida
Tonight makes the start of day 23 that my broody has been sitting on chicken eggs. Last year was my first hatch and all fertile eggs hatched. This year out of 12, 10 fertilized and 8 made it to day 17. That was the last day I checked. I’m pretty sure two busted around day 9-10. Found egg remnants but no chicks. Horrible smell in the nest, but no mess. I’ve been worried about the eggs since.

I tried candling with a flashlight and my phone. Not great. I can barely see brought the darker eggs. I see air sacks but no beak or movement. Is there still hope? I’m considering giving them until day 25. Is that reasonable? Thanks for any advice/input.

Day 25 is when I'd toss them. I'm kind of in the same boat. My hen ended up with just one viable egg when I candled around day 14. And I'm on day 21 and nervously watching it. She might end up with nothing for her hard work and it's so disappointing.
Thank you. Yes. I’d feel bad for her. I hope your egg hatches. If mine do not make it, I’m considering finding some day old chicks for her. I feel like it would be worth a try.

I didn’t look at the eggs past day 17 last year so I’m unsure how noticeable movement is or how much they’re able to move at this stage. There was an odor tonight when I checked a few of the eggs. I’m hoping it’s just my hen. It’s hot here in Florida and the eggs are always so warm. And I’m sure she probably has some nasties on there from the broken eggs.

I’m interested to hear what comes of your egg.
Nothing. I candled it today because I happened to be out there when she left the nest to go get water. It didn't look full enough or dark enough for 22 days, so it had probably been dead since the last time I candled it at 14 days or shortly after. At 14 days the dark part looked more solid and today it looked more... Sloshy? So definitely dead.

I didn't want to break her after she sat for 30 days. (She didn't have any fertile eggs for the first week) So I just put two farm store chicks under her in the dark and took away her rotten egg and the two plastic ones. In the morning I'll get up early to go check, but she's raised chicks before so I think she'll take them.

Nothing. I candled it today because I happened to be out there when she left the nest to go get water. It didn't look full enough or dark enough for 22 days, so it had probably been dead since the last time I candled it at 14 days or shortly after. At 14 days the dark part looked more solid and today it looked more... Sloshy? So definitely dead.

I didn't want to break her after she sat for 30 days. (She didn't have any fertile eggs for the first week) So I just put two farm store chicks under her in the dark and took away her rotten egg and the two plastic ones. In the morning I'll get up early to go check, but she's raised chicks before so I think she'll take them.
Awesome that you were able to find chicks. Good luck. I just opened all of my eggs today and only one looks fully developed. None made it. I’m picking some up that are hatching today later this evening and plan to place them tonight. Was only able to find Turkens but I’ll give them a try.

Awesome that you were able to find chicks. Good luck. I just opened all of my eggs today and only one looks fully developed. None made it. I’m picking some up that are hatching today later this evening and plan to place them tonight. Was only able to find Turkens but I’ll give them a try.
Mine are settling in just fine. Broody went out for 5 minutes this morning and came right back in to cover them up. Doesn't seem concerned at all that she sat on EE eggs and "hatched" a black copper marans and a speckled sussex. 😆I'm going to give them a few more hours together in her box before I move them down for some food and water. I'm warming up some bedding on the floor for them (It's like 20 degrees out), but I will take away that heat lamp before I move them down to encourage the chicks to stick with their new mom.

Attachments

• PXL_20230416_134606642.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230416_134606642.PORTRAIT.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230416_135010993.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20230416_135010993.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    973.4 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230416_005329711.jpg
    PXL_20230416_005329711.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 8
Mine are settling in just fine. Broody went out for 5 minutes this morning and came right back in to cover them up. Doesn't seem concerned at all that she sat on EE eggs and "hatched" a black copper marans and a speckled sussex. 😆I'm going to give them a few more hours together in her box before I move them down for some food and water. I'm warming up some bedding on the floor for them (It's like 20 degrees out), but I will take away that heat lamp before I move them down to encourage the chicks to stick with their new mom.
The pic in the car holding the chicks is adorable. Glad to hear all is well.

Hope it works out for you too! Send a picture.
Thank you. I forgot to snap a pic tonight so I’ll be sure to get one in the morning. She took them in. She was talking to them and tucking them back under her. Everybody seemed happy. Makes me think it probably would have worked out just fine during the day vs at night. My only worry is one falling out of the nest. I’ll be moving hen and babies first thing in the morning.

I didn’t get the turkens. I found some barred rocks and Rhode Island reds.

Back
Top Bottom