Started my coop today!

My husband bought the osb several years ago for a project that never happened, and has just been in my garage taking up much needed space. I told him his window of opportunity was now closed! I had about 6 sheets of it, so that helped with the cost. It does have to be painted, which I will get to on Tuesday. It is much cheaper than plywood but I don't think you can let it be exposed to the weather very long without paint. I have some left over and I am going to use it for my nest boxes, too. I can't wait till Tuesday to work on my coop some more!

Hey, congrats on your coop!! I finished mine last Saturday after 2 months of Saturdays, LOL. Today I have to be a good girl, stay in and clean the house, laundry, etc that has been sooooo neglected in favor of playing outside. I used OSB on my coop too along with a sheet of plywood that blew off a trailer going down the highway. Finders keepers. I love the legs on your coop, what a carpentry feat of accomplishment:) I know your chickens will love it.

Well, if I hadn't hired an out of work neighbor to help me I probably wouldn't have finished in a year! Neighbor dude and his 2 sons and 1 of mine, plus me=coop mostly done in 2 days. I am going to paint it barn red next day off, then eventually get some 1x4 and put on for trim painted white, to pretty it up a little...since it is sitting in front of the house (off to the side, but still...). What I like about it is that it is under trees all day, so it will be cooler in the summer and when the leaves fall it will have solar heat from the sun. I am hoping it is far enough from the house that when the egg song happens it wont wake up DH, who works nights. Of course, there is always those purple foam earplugs from Walmart...they are the best for blocking out snoring spouses/dogs, squeaky ceiling fans, late arriving teenagers, and...hopefully...crowing roosters
fl.gif

Ok, things are rolling along here on the coop. Here are some pics of the progress:
56972_chicken_pics_004.jpg

56972_chicken_pics_006.jpg

Here is a pic of the outside with trim done and hardware cloth over the windows. I put the wire over the screen on the outside and put the trim on top.
56972_20100812_7.jpg

Here is a pic of how I did the wire over the eaves. Since there are trees very close I was afraid something might drop/jump from the tree to the roof and get in under the eaves.
56972_20100812_6.jpg

Yesterday I finished painting the inside, built the roost, and put down the floor. I found a sheet of wallboard in the top of the garage from previous owner (the type that goes around a bathtub or shower), so I looked at Lowes and saw it only cost $12.00 so bought another sheet and used that for floor. I used 3/8" roofing nails to tack it down.
56972_20100812_5.jpg

56972_20100812_4.jpg

I still need to make poop board, decide on what type of nest boxes I want (debating on building some or just using milk crates or 5 gallon buckets), covering the eaves on the back of the coop with wire, moving run to it's permanent site by the coop, cutting my chicken door, and making the ramp. Opinions?

Back
Top Bottom