Started the new coop and run, not completed.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sdsharko, Aug 16, 2011.

1. sdsharko

sdsharko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started my new project Sunday, I have a new respect for all of the Super Coops I have researched on the site. The run will be 4x8ft (plus 4x4 underneath coop) and the coop will be an additional 4x4ft. I built them seperatley so I could move them around in the future. This is my first attempt and feel ok about what I have produce so far. Also would this accomadate 5 chickens? It currently only will have 3 buffs.

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Looks great!!!!!! I would say 5 would be the limit [​IMG]

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That is a great looking coop [​IMG]

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Great job!

5. jim022659

jim022659 New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    is this, perchance, designed to fit over you gardens? looks great and I like your separation idea.

6. sdsharko

sdsharko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    I was not planning on incorporating the gardens into the coop, and my carpentry skills probably would not allow me at this point [​IMG] what size nest boxes would be recommended, and better off with two larger boxes or 3 fair sized? Thanks for the kind comments, just got the roof finished.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Nice job. Orps are big girls....I would not go above 4 girls in there and I would put two large nest boxes...Orps need no smaller than a 12" x 12" usually...some of my orps required a 14" wide nest LOL Also, make sure your roost is a 2 x 4 turned with the 4" side up...they have big feet. Good luck and excellent work thus far.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by