Startena Feed - Smaller than 50lb. Bags?

mudmonkey

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Seminole, Florida
I'm looking for a source of Startena Feed that is smaller than the 50 lb bag.
I don't mind spending the twenty bucks to get the bag locally, but I only have 10 button quail and it seems like a huge waste to let all that feed go bad.
Has anyone found a source online for smaller quantities of this feed?

For one, where are you that you're paying $20 for a 50lb bag? Second, if you'd want to pay shipping and the base fee (It's $15.15 after taxes here), I'll certainly send you some, but I think the shipping would kill you in the end. Maybe see if some other folks locally would like to go in on a bag or buy the bag and then offer it by the pound on craigslist or something similar.

Get a few more birds LOL my little feather pigs knock off a bag in about 3-4 weeks I am paying about what Betta pays a little less for layena

I'm in Florida just outside of Tampa.
It appears that there's really only one feed store locally that carries it...so I guess that's why they can get 20.00 for it (?).
I haven't met anyone else local who raises quail, but perhaps now is the time to start looking.
Splitting a bag sounds like a pretty good idea.

Do what I did, I only have two hens and have to buy a 50LB bag of layer feed.

I didn't want to keep it that long either so I posted on Craiglist and had 4 people that were willing to take half, I gave it away, but had one lady offer to pay me for it.

You could do a post to share if you don't want to give it away.

Quote:
I'm actually going to be using this once I get some. I had ordered 100lbs, but the feed store worker put Purina in my truck. I didn't notice until I had come home and couldn't go back, so I chalked it up to an oops. The one thing that I do not like about Nutrena though, is that their crumbles seem to be VERY powdery. I bought their chick starter and it looked like it was 1/2 mash and 1/2 crumbles. I can get a 22% broiler mash for $19.50/100lbs vs 50lbs of the 20% Nutrena chick starter for $13. I just wanted the crumbles. I'll be weary of what I buy from Nutrena from this point on. BUT, the game starter is a definate go, it's 27% protein, unmedicated and only $12.75/50lbs.
I also dislike the fact that their website is so uninformative. They apparantly don't even list nutrients and analysis on their website.
hmm.png

Last edited:
The gamebird/showbird food I can get costs $5.95/ 5LB bag. (24% protein)

50LB Layer crumbles costs about $9/ bag (16% protein)

I have been reading about problems associated with feeding a too high protein diet.

Quote:
I've never heard of too high of protein for the quail. Maybe chickens (mainly broilers), but not gamebirds. I have been trying to find the highest protein, unmedicated feed as possible to start my quail on, and I've been giving my layers 20% protein layena. I would never want to buy the little 5lb bags of feed, the budget would KILL me.

Back
Top Bottom