Starter crumbs or pellets?

Its_Bri01

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2022
I have 2 Pekin ducks. They are around 7 weeks old. I was wondering if I should keep them on their crumb feed, or if they would be able to eat pellets ? Thank you!

I have 2 Pekin ducks. They are around 7 weeks old. I was wondering if I should keep them on their crumb feed, or if they would be able to eat pellets ? Thank you!
Here is a pic of them (don’t mind one of them was playing in the mud !)

Attachments

• 62120CFE-6235-453F-B304-282324893CD1.png
    62120CFE-6235-453F-B304-282324893CD1.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
Feeds of different types come in both a crumble form or a pellet form.

What brand name feed are you currently using? Can you take a picture of the feed tag on the bag?

I start ducklings on starter crumbles and when the bag is finished -- at around 6-8 weeks -- I change them over to duck pellets. They are well able to eat pellets. Any females [mine are rescues] are transferred to my son's flock at 12-16 weeks old and get organic layer pellets [formulated for chickens] also with additional niacin once they start laying at 16-17 weeks.

When duck pellets are unavailable, I buy flock raiser pellets and add brewers yeast.

I start ducklings on starter crumbles and when the bag is finished -- at around 6-8 weeks -- I change them over to duck pellets. They are well able to eat pellets. Any females [mine are rescues] are transferred to my son's flock at 12-16 weeks old and get organic layer pellets [formulated for chickens] also with additional niacin once they start laying at 16-17 weeks.

When duck pellets are unavailable, I buy flock raiser pellets and add brewers yeast.
Thank you for this information!

Both of the bags you showed are fine but you should add brewers yeast -- 1 tbspn per cup of feed -- for ducks. Don't omit the brewers yeast particularly if you have pekins that grow faster and larger than other mallard derived ducks.
Thanks! I have been sprinkling some nutritional yeast flakes over their feed. So I assume now I should keep doing that even with the pellets? I’m just worried because they are starting to get very big and they are still so young! I’m so scared their legs are going to give out !😅

Back
Top Bottom