Starter Feed ???

Jersey Boy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Hello. I have 3 chicks approximately 4-5 weeks old. I am feeding them Manna Pro Chick Starter. I have been reading that you can feed chick starter/grower until 20 weeks or they start laying which ever comes first. My question is that I don't see anything on my bag that says grower. Can I feed this until they start laying or is there a difference between this chick starter and a chick starter/grower ???

I did a quick search. That appears to be an 18% protein feed. You can look at the label to verify that.

That is a feed medicate with Amprolium. Your chicks don’t need a medicated feed after they have been in contact with the ground for about three weeks. Amprolium is not an antibiotic. It specifically targets the protozoa that cause Coccidiosis or Cocci. It will not harm their probiotics or hurt them in any way, but after they have been in contact with the ground for three weeks, they should have developed the immunity they need to any strain of Cocci you have. You just don’t need the Amprolium any longer.

A whole lot of people on here tend to way overthink chicken feed. It’s really pretty simple. At the age yours are, you can feed anything from a 16% Grower until they start to lay or a 20% Flock Raiser or anything in between. It really doesn’t matter to the chickens. The higher the protein content (which is on the label), usually the more expensive the feed. They don’t NEED the extra protein but if you are happier spending the extra money on them, it won’t hurt them.

The only rule is that you should not feed Layer to growing chickens. The main difference in Layer and all the others (other than maybe protein content) is that Layer contains extra calcium. There are plenty of studies that show the extra calcium can harm the growing chicks.

Ok so it won't hurt them to finish what I have left in the medicated then I can change over to a grower or flock raiser ? Also purchased the chicks last week so they have only been receiving medicated for a week. Not sure what the breeder was feeding them.

i have a question my little ones are less then a week old and i bought the chick starter for them until they are two months old my question is can i start them on layer after starter or do i need something else if i just want reg eggs to eat not to breed?

Check the back of the bag. Most brands have a feeding schedule based on bird type, age, and purpose. It should tell you what to feed when....for that brand.

From what I read you should not start feeding layer to your chickens until 18 weeks or your first egg. When chickens start to lay they need an increase in calcium for proper egg production. Layer feed is high in calcium for that reason. Only problem is an increase of calcium when the chickens don't need it (when they aren't laying) will damage their digestive systems.

Back
Top Bottom