Starting a new flock in Reno

ajlynco

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Tool, TX
Hi All,
I'm a newbie to BYC and raising chickens. What a tremendously informative site this is. My initial objective is to raise some dual purpose hens (ordering day-olds at the end of September or early Oct.) and am considering 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks. Something small to get started and work out the major bugs. I live in town now, however, in about a year I'll be moving to a place with more elbow room ( Reno area). While still living in town I'm going to build a portable tractor coop due to limited space in my yard and will provide a portable run as an add-on in the spring. Will these breeds fare well in the Reno climate and keep producing eggs during the winters? What is a reputable hatchery? I'm leaning towards Murray McMurry. After I move I'll expand the flock and bone up on raising more egg layers and some broilers for meat only. If anyone in this area thinks I could pick a better breed, I'm open for suggestion. Or for that matter, any suggestions are welcome. Thank all of you BYC patrons for your input...what an outstanding website!!
thumbsup.gif

I believe the minimum number you can order from McMurray is 25 chicks. So unless you are going in with a bunch of others you might need to look at MyPetChicken.com. Their minimum order is 3 to 6 depending on where you live. Their website will tell you how many you have to order if you put in your zip code.

Good luck. I was in your shoes just a month ago. I now have 5 fuzzy butts living in my basement.

Sorry I can't help you with hatcheries since I'm fairly new myself and I've gotten all my birds locally from BYC friends, swaps and even facebook groups! lol...just wanted to say
welcome-byc.gif

With Ideal, there is no minimum order of chicks, you just have to order 20$ worth of merchandise.
welcome-byc.gif

I see Elizabeth got to you first
lol.png
If it doesnt work out this fall, Im sure theres someone on the Nevada thread looking to rehome a couple chooks.

A couple of questions, Should I have the new chicks vaccinated at the hatchery or just raise them on medicated starter? Where is the 'Ideal' hatchery located? BTW, you were right, McMurry doesnt let you order just a few chicks.....but MyPetChicken,com does.
jumpy.gif
A big HELLO to all my new BYC friends and thanks for the info. Alan

Back
Top Bottom