Starting a new flock in Reno

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ajlynco, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    Hi All,
    I'm a newbie to BYC and raising chickens. What a tremendously informative site this is. My initial objective is to raise some dual purpose hens (ordering day-olds at the end of September or early Oct.) and am considering 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks. Something small to get started and work out the major bugs. I live in town now, however, in about a year I'll be moving to a place with more elbow room ( Reno area). While still living in town I'm going to build a portable tractor coop due to limited space in my yard and will provide a portable run as an add-on in the spring. Will these breeds fare well in the Reno climate and keep producing eggs during the winters? What is a reputable hatchery? I'm leaning towards Murray McMurry. After I move I'll expand the flock and bone up on raising more egg layers and some broilers for meat only. If anyone in this area thinks I could pick a better breed, I'm open for suggestion. Or for that matter, any suggestions are welcome. Thank all of you BYC patrons for your input...what an outstanding website!! [​IMG]

2. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

You are on the right track! Not a thing wrong with McMurray for getting started. And [​IMG]

Keep reading!!! You'll learn loads.

3. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    Does Murray McMurray ship less than 25 chicks? I couldn't get less than that in July when I ordered. So I ordered 5 from MPC.

4. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    I believe the minimum number you can order from McMurray is 25 chicks. So unless you are going in with a bunch of others you might need to look at MyPetChicken.com. Their minimum order is 3 to 6 depending on where you live. Their website will tell you how many you have to order if you put in your zip code.

Good luck. I was in your shoes just a month ago. I now have 5 fuzzy butts living in my basement.

5. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Sorry I can't help you with hatcheries since I'm fairly new myself and I've gotten all my birds locally from BYC friends, swaps and even facebook groups! lol...just wanted to say [​IMG]

6. chicharomirinda

chicharomirinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
  7. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    With Ideal, there is no minimum order of chicks, you just have to order 20$ worth of merchandise. [​IMG]
    I see Elizabeth got to you first [​IMG] If it doesnt work out this fall, Im sure theres someone on the Nevada thread looking to rehome a couple chooks.

8. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Hello from California! [​IMG]

and [​IMG]

You can't go wrong with Rocks. Good luck on your chicken adventure.

9. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    A couple of questions, Should I have the new chicks vaccinated at the hatchery or just raise them on medicated starter? Where is the 'Ideal' hatchery located? BTW, you were right, McMurry doesnt let you order just a few chicks.....but MyPetChicken,com does.[​IMG] A big HELLO to all my new BYC friends and thanks for the info. Alan

10. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Quote:Both. The hatchery will vaccinate to protect against some issues, while the medicated feed will protect against others. So the answer is both. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by