Starting Movement In San Bernardino County, CA To Legalize Roosters

AvocadoAbi

Songster
Jul 3, 2021
Hey y'all!
So long story short, I am trying to legalize roosters in my area. I checked out the article about chicken laws and how to change them and it said to post and find out whether anybody else is trying for this.
I live in a suburban area, and I know one of my neighbors also owns a rooster, but I haven't checked with them to find out whether they are trying to make it legal.
Anybody else in San Bernardino involved in this whole thingamajig? I'd love any support, suggestions (even from y'all who aren't in my area!), or help drafting an ordinance!
🙃

Last edited:
Hey y'all!
So long story short, I am trying to legalize roosters in my area. I checked out the article about chicken laws and how to change them and it said to post and find out whether anybody else is trying for this.
I know one of my neighbors also owns a rooster, but I haven't checked with them to find out whether they are trying to make it legal.
Anybody else in San Bernardino involved in this whole thingamajig? I'd love any support, suggestions (even from y'all who aren't in my area!), or help drafting an ordinance!
🙃
If your in urban areas, you may run afoul of sound ordinances.
I currently live in urban Auckland and they make exceptions according to property size. You may have better luck getting exemptions for larger lots or under certain husbandry conditions that would mitigate the sound issue.

If your in urban areas, you may run afoul of sound ordinances.
I currently live in urban Auckland and they make exceptions according to property size. You may have better luck getting exemptions for larger lots or under certain husbandry conditions that would mitigate the sound issue.
Thank you! Your advice is very helpful!!:)

I live in Etiwanda and have ducks. I have seen the ordinance and even though I don’t have roosters/chickens, I would be willing to help.
Oh thank you so much! Do you think you would be willing to write a letter of support to legalize roosters in 8000 sq. feet of land?

Hey y'all!
I live in a suburban area, and I know one of my neighbors also owns a rooster, but I haven't checked with them to find out whether they are trying to make it legal.
🙃

Hey y'all!
🙃
I live in Highland and I am going to get chickens again but would like to have a rooster. Any insight would be appreciated.

You can probably save yourself some frustration and time (time is money!) by simply getting a rooster and having it's vocal chords cut, problemo solved, and to heck with fighting city hall!

I do understand 8000 square feet is a big area, but not big enough that people will not hear your roosters crowing at 4am! That is the real issue, noise at that time in the morning is problematic, even if it is music to your ears.

So even if you proposed a limit of say one rooster, it would still bring the ire of some of your neighbors. Trust me on this as we live in an area where everyone is on acre lots, and there are still ordinances against roosters, and for good reasons too. We had one neighbor about 300 yards away who had to get rid of his rooster. I could hear it crow at 4:30am every morning and then one day, nothing......and found he had to get rid of it because somebody called animal control.

Back
Top Bottom