Starting my flock - feedback on my chick choices, please!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
View attachment 1670288

I've posted those photos to give an idea of the coop set up. There is an outer door to be used for cleaning out the coop and to open to let sun flood in. There are two inner doors - one large one for access and cleaning, from which I took the interior shot - and a smaller door to be left open with a chicken ladder to it during the day. The idea is that the chickens can run about inside the closed run whenever we are out, and then the chickens can be let out to areas of the backyard when we are home during the day. For brooding outdoors, I had originally intended to leave the outer door open with just the hardware mesh screen to keep any chicks from falling out. I am going to use a heating pad cave as suggested. I read that chicks enjoy watching the world and it helps them to be less fearful when they are grown up. But now the weather is looking to become very cold (for San Diego) and rain is expected over the next two weeks. This means the outer door would remain closed to keep out weather. Do you think they can survive the weather in that coop with the inner door (the one from which I took a photo out to the garden, from within the coop) opened? (temporarily covered with chicken wire). Otherwise, they will be locked in a box with minimal daylight for the days it is raining.

I wouldn't leave them in complete darkness, is that big "window" the only window/vent in the coop or is there some other place light can get in? Or can that door be propped partially open maybe? Or maybe you can cover up part of that window from the inside, so the door can be left open but not too much rain will get in? I can't tell if the roof overhang will be sufficient to keep rain out, but that's something you'll need to answer.

A little rainfall doesn't mean you can't brood outside (certainly didn't stop me) but the chicks need to be able to stay dry as dry = warm, especially when they're just balls of fluff.

You could maybe rig up a regular light bulb in there for light, if there's no other option.

Since you're in So Cal in the summer you might need to put a shade cloth over that area - I know I'm thinking way too far ahead but that little coop will get hot if sunlight is beaming straight in.

I wouldn't leave them in complete darkness, is that big "window" the only window/vent in the coop or is there some other place light can get in? Or can that door be propped partially open maybe? Or maybe you can cover up part of that window from the inside, so the door can be left open but not too much rain will get in? I can't tell if the roof overhang will be sufficient to keep rain out, but that's something you'll need to answer.

A little rainfall doesn't mean you can't brood outside (certainly didn't stop me) but the chicks need to be able to stay dry as dry = warm, especially when they're just balls of fluff.

You could maybe rig up a regular light bulb in there for light, if there's no other option.

Since you're in So Cal in the summer you might need to put a shade cloth over that area - I know I'm thinking way too far ahead but that little coop will get hot if sunlight is beaming straight in.
x2

So far so good! The 4 chicks (pictured when we picked them up this afternoon) enjoyed playtime in the run today, and have a red headlamp on them tonight. I also have a heating pad cave for them, which they are - so far - ignoring. So far it looks to be a great setup, thank you for your suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_7379.JPG
    IMG_7379.JPG
    429 KB · Views: 6
So far so good! The 4 chicks (pictured when we picked them up this afternoon) enjoyed playtime in the run today, and have a red headlamp on them tonight. I also have a heating pad cave for them, which they are - so far - ignoring. So far it looks to be a great setup, thank you for your suggestions!
Aww!

Back
Top Bottom