1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting Over

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantyHugger, Dec 12, 2010.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    During the summer we thinned our flock down to just 6 birds. 5 hens and our Roo. Then in October a bobcat got in and now we have no birds at all. We are thinking of getting more birds this spring. However we dont know what breeds we want. We are looking at just 6 birds again because we cant handle more eggs then that. Mom wants something traditional like barred rocks or orpington. My grandmother and I on the other hand want a fancier breed of bird. Does anyone have suggestions of boldly colored, traditional-bodied birds?

2. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Are we talking bantam or LF?

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Dorking!

5. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I'm so sorry about the bobcat. We have one too, and it sometimes takes 2 birds in 1 day (the free range birds). What kind of pen did it get into? Now I'm worried about my breeding pens, since it's a diurnal predator this time of year. They're secure at night, but gosh it's hard with the daytime predators. Sometimes 5 hawks come at a time in spring. 3 hawks as a team lifted our neighbors huge turkey up in the air....its like jurassic park around here.

6. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Standard Breeds Please.

TinyBirds- It was a free range pen. Our neighbors had reported a bobcat family near by about 2 months before the incident. We think she brought the young ones with her because they took all 6 in one night and there were only a few feathers left from the roo. We are improving coupe security before buying new chicks.

I like the look of Dorkings. Are they reliable layers? Also i found Salmon Faverolles which i like as well but im worried that will all the extra fluff they would get too hot in the Texas Sun?

7. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    favarolli ( can't spell) should be fine. they lay well and are fairly gentle. some Easter Eggers could be fun they lay colored eggs. and come in every color.

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Faverolles would be good I know breeder in Florida and Texas and their birds do well. Melissa or Pasofinofarm on this website has Faverolles and is in Texas you should contact her for chicks.

Henry

9. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
  10. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Id like Welsummers or marans if i can get some of good quality. Dark eggs would be cool but i know some hatcheries sell dark-eggers that end up producing nothing but regular colored brown eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by