Starting Quail next spring.

Studabird

Songster
May 8, 2020
Southwest Louisiana
I have read all the sticky topics. How much square footage is needed for quail? I got 1 sq ft for the coop. What is the run size. I am going to get courtnix or the A&M quail trying to get a little business going. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know if this will help, but it's what I give people new to quail when I sell to them.
Coturnix basic care sheet

For new chicks less than 2 weeks old:

Housing:

Chicks will need to be kept in a brooder until about 3 weeks of age. There should be a warm side and a cool side. Keep the temperature between 85-95 degrees in the warm side. The younger the chicks, the higher the temperature they need. If they huddle together, they are cold and the temperature needs to be raised. If they are laying stretched out or panting, they are hot and the temperature needs to be lowered.

Food:

Chicks need a feed with around 28% protein. The amount of protein can be lowered once they are over 8 weeks old. The feed needs to be fine enough for them to eat. They should always have fresh water.

For adult birds:

Housing:

Coturnix quail are quite hardy and can handle freezing temperatures as long as they are dry and have shelter (boxes or some type of small container works). The minimum amount of space is one square foot per bird, but more is better. Remember to subtract the space taken up by food and water from their living space. They are ground birds and are happiest on the ground. If you give them a wire bottom hutch, make sure they have boxes of dirt for baths and to rest their feet.

Food:

Quail thrive on high protein food of around 28%, but can go as low as 20% once they are fully grown. Adult hens will need calcium either offered on the side or part of their feed. If it is offered on the side, it must be ground small enough for them to eat easily. If it is part of their feed, it should be about 3.5% calcium.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

I don't know if this will help, but it's what I give people new to quail when I sell to them.

Housing:

Chicks will need to be kept in a brooder until about 3 weeks of age. There should be a warm side and a cool side. Keep the temperature between 85-95 degrees in the warm side. The younger the chicks, the higher the temperature they need. If they huddle together, they are cold and the temperature needs to be raised. If they are laying stretched out or panting, they are hot and the temperature needs to be lowered.

Food:

Chicks need a feed with around 28% protein. The amount of protein can be lowered once they are over 8 weeks old. The feed needs to be fine enough for them to eat. They should always have fresh water.

For adult birds:

Housing:

Coturnix quail are quite hardy and can handle freezing temperatures as long as they are dry and have shelter (boxes or some type of small container works). The minimum amount of space is one square foot per bird, but more is better. Remember to subtract the space taken up by food and water from their living space. They are ground birds and are happiest on the ground. If you give them a wire bottom hutch, make sure they have boxes of dirt for baths and to rest their feet.

Food:

Quail thrive on high protein food of around 28%, but can go as low as 20% once they are fully grown. Adult hens will need calcium either offered on the side or part of their feed. If it is offered on the side, it must be ground small enough for them to eat easily. If it is part of their feed, it should be about 3.5% calcium.

Hallo. I'm relatively new to this. I keep quails for about 7 months. I buy chicken feed in bulk from the shop I bought them and he assured me they need nothing more, but I'm adding a little nutritional yeast B12, dried oregano and dried nettle. They seem to love it. I also treating them with smashed almonds, Brazilian nuts and sunflower seeds. They love pasta. Every day I give them a little something, like lettuce, apple, zucchini, watermelon, spinach, arugula, basil, boiled cauliflower and broccoli, cucumber, seed mixture for wild birds ( in the sand box to keep them busy), yogurt and boiled egg. When in the brooder, I added garlic in the water and apple cider vinegar. Is that ok? What else can I give them? They will bring me some persimmons and pomegranates. Is it ok to give them some? They seem to avoid red food.

Hallo. I'm relatively new to this. I keep quails for about 7 months. I buy chicken feed in bulk from the shop I bought them and he assured me they need nothing more, but I'm adding a little nutritional yeast B12, dried oregano and dried nettle. They seem to love it. I also treating them with smashed almonds, Brazilian nuts and sunflower seeds. They love pasta. Every day I give them a little something, like lettuce, apple, zucchini, watermelon, spinach, arugula, basil, boiled cauliflower and broccoli, cucumber, seed mixture for wild birds ( in the sand box to keep them busy), yogurt and boiled egg. When in the brooder, I added garlic in the water and apple cider vinegar. Is that ok? What else can I give them? They will bring me some persimmons and pomegranates. Is it ok to give them some? They seem to avoid red food.
Treats shouldn't be more than 10% of their diet. Nuts may add much needed protein, but they are also high in fat, so they are treats. Boiled egg is a good addition for protein.

Garlic can be toxic to birds, so do be careful of feeding that to them. Most fruit should be fine, but again, these are treats, so shouldn't be more than 10% of their diet. Avoid fruits from the nightshade family such as tomatoes.

Treats shouldn't be more than 10% of their diet. Nuts may add much needed protein, but they are also high in fat, so they are treats. Boiled egg is a good addition for protein.

Garlic can be toxic to birds, so do be careful of feeding that to them. Most fruit should be fine, but again, these are treats, so shouldn't be more than 10% of their diet. Avoid fruits from the nightshade family such as tomatoes.
Thank you 😊. Very helpful the information about nightshade family. I never gave them anything from that family, but I didn't know that general rule. I had to find one by one all the things that are harmful. I still don't add something if I'm not sure. I give them treats in the afternoon after they have eaten. Nuts are for selenium (From the " organic quails" videos). They seem fine so far . And their eggs are perfect from the very first one.

Housing:

Food:

For adult birds:

Housing:

Food:

I was wondering, is 3 standard sized (not jumbo) coturnix quail per sq ft humane? MyShire Farms is a good quail breeder and he says that's what he recommends, but no less. Do you agree?

I was wondering, is 3 standard sized (not jumbo) coturnix quail per sq ft humane? MyShire Farms is a good quail breeder and he says that's what he recommends, but no less. Do you agree?
Zack is a commercial breeder. He also keeps his birds in stacked cages. Personally, I would not give my quail less than 1 square foot/bird, preferably more.

Back
Top Bottom