starting seeds and grow lights

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bugkiller, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Starting from seed for the first time in a few weeks. is a grow light a must or can I just put them near a window. I really want to keep it as simple as possible and not a lot of room. it will have to be in my kitchen cause my basement is very cold. so was hoping to just get a simple shelf and place the trays beside the window.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You can do that, but you will get better results with a light. Is there any way for you to hang a shop light from the ceiling? Perhaps put them on a table in front of the window, with a shop (or what ever size fluorescent light) hanging over them. I don't get enough dependable natural light, even in a south window to be very successful, but it can be done. One thing that I've done in the past, and it helps tremendously is to make a tin foil lined box for them to sit in. It helps to catch all of the light coming in from the window, and re-direct it back onto the seedlings. Be sure you start them someplace warm, then get them into the light right away... as soon as a few seedlings have popped up. It wouldn't be too hard to pick up a light fixture, and mount it over the tin foil box.

3. JSossong

JSossong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Western PA
    I started my seeds in jiffy-cubes in a humidity dome. Once they sprouted I moved them into the bay windows we have in our kitchen and living room. This worked fine. I planted so many plants that eventually I had to put up grow lights in my basement because there wasn't enough room in the windows. My kitchen and living room are fairly warm. Once they grew a bit bigger I transplanted them into bigger jiffy pots and put a fan on them during the day to somewhat "harden" them and make them stronger. Be sure to rotate them if they're in a window, you'll notice them growing towards the sun. If your window doesn't catch enough light you may be better off putting them under a fluorescent light- which can be a very simple process if you have somewhere to do it. The plants in the windows and the ones under the lights are both thriving. I'd say the ones placed under the light are doing a bit better though. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by