Starting that duck house

If you feel along the back of her leg you may be able to tell by using the other leg as a guide. If it’s popping back an forth maybe @casportpony can give instruction on how to keep it In place.

There was a visible side movement yesterday as I was going in to help her into the duck house at coop closing.
She went to stand and I saw it kick outward at the joint.

I would say she is spending 80% of the day moving just fine....fine enough that I have a hard time picking her out of the group. The rest of the time she isn't able to stand and is using her wings to propel herself forward.

I have been looking up braces and how to stabilize the leg.

I may try to apply a sam splint.....gonna be fun....not.

I think another option may be finger splints as those can be bent into shape, are padded and vet wrap will hold in place.

Holy moly this is taking me FOREVER to get done.

Yesterday I got the duck deck built. Today one coat of light gray porch and floor paint. Once it is dry I will do a second coat.
:woot For the mistint section at Home Depot. The porch and floor paint was there!

View attachment 2194267View attachment 2194269

Deliberately sloped so excess happy splashing runs OUT of the run.

The cut out is my access door to the plumbing. I will cover the hinge with boat carpet to protect duck feet.
That gap under is getting 1/4" hardware cloth. I want airflow under there to help keep things dry(ish) at least.
Then reinstall the ramp.

Oh and a python aquarium siphon really helps get the muck out of the pool bottom.

@Miss Lydia I finally got to work on it some. :D
Can I ask how your ducks get out of the pond? Do you have blocks on the ledge of the preformed pond?

Can I ask how your ducks get out of the pond? Do you have blocks on the ledge of the preformed pond?

I do have stacked blocks on the end by the ramp. Sometimes they just pop up over the edge but most of the time they use the blocks.
It is actually a stock tank so even worse than a preformed as there are no ledges at all.

Last edited:
We just put the largest pre-form in our backyard. We have a tiny one in their run. Getting out is the tricky part for my pekins, and makes them a bit shy of it. I have tried so many forms of blocks - ha, just about everyone you can buy at home depot. Even with the ledges in the preformed tub you have to deal with the curves, so finding something the right height that doesn't leave a gap is such a challenge. In my dreams I would have steps that are soft, like rubber. Oh well, still trying to figure out the best option...

We just put the largest pre-form in our backyard. We have a tiny one in their run. Getting out is the tricky part for my pekins, and makes them a bit shy of it. I have tried so many forms of blocks - ha, just about everyone you can buy at home depot. Even with the ledges in the preformed tub you have to deal with the curves, so finding something the right height that doesn't leave a gap is such a challenge. In my dreams I would have steps that are soft, like rubber. Oh well, still trying to figure out the best option...

Maybe stacked flagstone as that can be rounded some or pick and choose the arched ones.....
When I cut the plywood to go around the tank I laid the wood on top and traced around from underneath with a marker. I think you could get a template out of cardboard to take to the landscape supply store with you. It might help you find the tightest fit possible.

While important to share what we are trying out....it also may help to share what DIDN'T work.

The anti-slip tape made by 3M for use on stairs was no match at all for determined bills. They worked it loose and used water to peel it off totally defeating the adhesive.

Straw in my run.....yeah NO. It got wet, packed and really gross really fast.
I will stick to running my tiny tiller through there a few times a week. Winter and frozen ground may need different management.

The waterer from a tote with holes in the lid worked(ish). They added a tremendous amount of dirt and cleaning it was a difficult sloppy mess. I cannot recommend it for that reason.

The stock tank pool with drain set up works well. I left one joint unglued in case I need to do maintenance to the ball valve or replace the tank.

The Python aquarium siphon is good at removing the sludge from the tank bottom. One thing to note....I hooked it to a 25' section of hose so I can get the water away from the animal housing. I have to run it uphill. Because a Python uses the pressure of a faucet to create suction this is doable. I do need to have the discharge end set up better to prevent washout of the ground where it lays.

The ducky deck is enjoyed by the ducks. They sit and rest on it when done in the water. Lifting the hatch to the ball valve last night it looks like it is staying dryer around the pool.

My limping duck has not limped since yesterday morning. She has been moving with the group and walking normally. They all spent a lot of time yesterday in the pool. I will have to catch her limping to even make sure I am splinting the correct duck.

Last edited:
That's awesome about your limper that isn't limping any longer. Thanks also for updates on the other things you've tried. It can really be a help to others just starting out.

I know that being on clay soil now as opposed to sand when I had ducks before I had a LOT of questions. I found very few answers so....trial and error and hoping to save at least one other person a few headaches.

Next up....
Setting up a less messy drinking water station.

The plan is to dig out 40"x40" at 4-6" deep next to and yes under the perimeter fence, slope the bottom, frame it in, line with old shavings bags, fill with 1 -2" river rock, top with wire and stall matt then a 2x2' paver for the water dish to sit on.
WILL IT WORK? Time will tell.

My electrician will wire in 2 outside plugs for de-icers and a light for inside the duck house before winter hits. He has already been here to fix the garage wiring, add an outside light to the shop and start the rewiring of the shop.

Since hubs helped me on the duck deck some I am repainting the garage for him. I think he got the better end of that deal lol.

Back
Top Bottom