Starting that duck house

I did manage this already.

IMG_20200527_103006.jpg
Yup the pup and the no no dog sleeping within INCHES of each other.

Ok so not much able to happen until Saturday but.....

IMG_20200528_100910.jpg
Pool drain run to outside the run. Yup straight out to the fence. I may put a 90 on it and run it into another pipe to use the water on the bed behind the run. It all depends on how much debris they put in the pool.

IMG_20200528_100906.jpg
Not a good picture by any stretch but at least they are relaxed.

I have so much landscaping to fix. :th

Ok so not much able to happen until Saturday but.....

View attachment 2164548
Pool drain run to outside the run. Yup straight out to the fence. I may put a 90 on it and run it into another pipe to use the water on the bed behind the run. It all depends on how much debris they put in the pool.

View attachment 2164557
Not a good picture by any stretch but at least they are relaxed.

I have so much landscaping to fix. :th
OMG it looks terrific!

And I thought if you had poultry you could not have landscape. They are just not compatible. If this is a myth, ...shh, don't tell me. I've been using the excuse for 15 years!!

And terrific idea to run the drain right to a garden bed!

OMG it looks terrific!

And I thought if you had poultry you could not have landscape. They are just not compatible. If this is a myth, ...shh, don't tell me. I've been using the excuse for 15 years!!

And terrific idea to run the drain right to a garden bed!

Putting this roof on and duck house in I removed 3 10-12 foot tall lilacs, one hydrangea, 4 staghorn sumac, a long strip of just flowers and more. It was gut wrenching to lose some of that. The sumac may make a comeback from the roots....don't tell my hubs that....he hates sumac.

Oh and I took out a lot of blackberry plants. Those I know will be back.

Yes landscaping is possible. All this has survived for over a decade with 25-30 chickens getting to run amok. They are not loose 100% of the time or there would be a dust bowl out there.

I did keep an 8' tall lilac all the iris and a bunch of other flowers.

Holy moly this is taking me FOREVER to get done.

Yesterday I got the duck deck built. Today one coat of light gray porch and floor paint. Once it is dry I will do a second coat.
:woot For the mistint section at Home Depot. The porch and floor paint was there!

IMG_20200614_083748.jpg IMG_20200614_083729.jpg

Deliberately sloped so excess happy splashing runs OUT of the run.

The cut out is my access door to the plumbing. I will cover the hinge with boat carpet to protect duck feet.
That gap under is getting 1/4" hardware cloth. I want airflow under there to help keep things dry(ish) at least.
Then reinstall the ramp.

Oh and a python aquarium siphon really helps get the muck out of the pool bottom.

@Miss Lydia I finally got to work on it some. :D

Last edited:
IMG_20200614_195447.jpg
Before adding the hardware cloth to the front and resetting the ramp I ran a small tiller through there and picked up any rocks.

The ramp has anti-slip tape to help them get a grip. So far so good. They are all able to navigate the ramp as well as a couple popping up over the edge of the deck.

Side note and a bit stressful. One female has been on and off lame for the last 5 days or so. She is fine for several hours then suddenly cannot stand/walk. Then after an hour or so she is fine again. She has gone up the ramp without difficulty so I am at a loss.
I see no bumbles or oddities with the legs or feet. I am feeding all flock with nutritional yeast added.

Is it possible to have a slipped tendon that goes in and out of place? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom