Starting that duck house

Hang in there Henny :hugsYou are making great strides!

Thank you!
It sure doesn't feel like it though. While hubs was home at lunch he decided I should not take the chain link loose until the run is 100% predator resistant.....even under the roof.....

IMG_20200511_084836.jpg
Sooooo....this wall is the divider....that board above the door is a solid 6-8" below the new roof. It does NOT line up with any roofing piece above it. The board is also extremely warped and is just under 10' long. When I started all this I told him I wanted to rebuild that wall. He said no.
:he:he:he

Thank you!
It sure doesn't feel like it though. While hubs was home at lunch he decided I should not take the chain link loose until the run is 100% predator resistant.....even under the roof.....

View attachment 2136624
Sooooo....this wall is the divider....that board above the door is a solid 6-8" below the new roof. It does NOT line up with any roofing piece above it. The board is also extremely warped and is just under 10' long. When I started all this I told him I wanted to rebuild that wall. He said no.
:he:he:he
Tell him I think it looks fantastic as is. :plbb If he wants more I am sure he knows where the tools are (or maybe he doesn’t. mine always misplaces them).

Tell him I think it looks fantastic as is. :plbb If he wants more I am sure he knows where the tools are (or maybe he doesn’t. mine always misplaces them).

He just got home....I showed him the trouble spot. Yeah....I will keep the tools. :hmm

I am a bit on the picky side. :lau

Todays progress so far....

Predator proofing of the dividing wall....done
Chain link moved out of the way.....done
One pallet is cut for install second one ready for cutting.
Leveling will be "fun".

The goals needed to be more achievable soooo
I plan to get the base cut, leveled, attached, decked and painted before dark. Tomorrow rain and Friday rain. Saturday I will be out of town but back to rolling along on Sunday.

FINALLY got something done!!!

:wee

IMG_20200513_150500.jpg
These pallets were 40x49.....yeah I did some cutting.
Now the total is 40x93.5.
You can see I hooked it over the 2x6 old run frame....there is a reason for that.

IMG_20200513_150506.jpg
I only have one piece of roofing left and it is 37" wide. I need to stay within that.

IMG_20200513_173527.jpg
I forgot to get a picture adding the cut pieces of pallets to the inside. :hmm
I DID get it leveled, decked and painted!
I was very pleased that even working with pallets I managed to keep it square!

It is now just under 8' long and just over 5' wide. I had to leave room on the ends to slide siding in. Those posts are exactly 8' apart.

In the morning I will give a second coat of porch and floor paint then run to get my 2x4's.

Hoping we are dry in the morning.

We had heavy rain and hail during the night. It is still very much dark here. It sounds like it is raining now.

I suppose that I can work on my less messy waterer plan for in their house.....

The forecast was for evening showers. If we get a break in the rain I will still run to get 2x4's.
That second coat of paint may have to wait til Sunday.

We got a brief break so I hustled and got my lumber. There are now 40 2x4's in my shop. I cannot build much with the rain but might be able to get some of the boards cut and ready.

:woot Every step counts!!

The pallet walls plan has been scrapped by hubs. While we both prefer to save $ pallets can be a pain to work with.

Fun fact....when cutting pallet slats with a circular saw....some can be under tension. The saw bucked on me a few times making that base. Not exactly the safest thing.

Pallets can be a pain when you are cutting them. When me made our coop we kept the pallets whole which really helped. We slid them on a 2x4 built wall. It is hard to explain, but the thing is insanely sturdy. Only thing I haven't finished yet was painting it which i need to do in the next few weeks.

Pallets can be a pain when you are cutting them. When me made our coop we kept the pallets whole which really helped. We slid them on a 2x4 built wall. It is hard to explain, but the thing is insanely sturdy. Only thing I haven't finished yet was painting it which i need to do in the next few weeks.

With my height restraints and length restraints I would have had to cut them.

If I built a 2x4 wall to slide them onto....I would have needed to close the pallet gaps anyway for both predators and weather sooooo siding it is.

Cost wise this was logical as we have a lumber salvage business close by that gets siding....with light damage but otherwise new. They help to sort through and I am able to get pieces that I would be cutting the damage off anyway. I gave $18 a sheet for the siding.
I did however buy only for a different design. I will end up picking up 2 more sheets.

With my height restraints and length restraints I would have had to cut them.

If I built a 2x4 wall to slide them onto....I would have needed to close the pallet gaps anyway for both predators and weather sooooo siding it is.

Cost wise this was logical as we have a lumber salvage business close by that gets siding....with light damage but otherwise new. They help to sort through and I am able to get pieces that I would be cutting the damage off anyway. I gave $18 a sheet for the siding.
I did however buy only for a different design. I will end up picking up 2 more sheets.
Our pallets were roofing pallets and they are built with the slats having zero gaps because roofing is so heavy. It isn't available to most people and usually the ones with the large slats are available to the public.

Back
Top Bottom