Starting the process of changing city law...HELP!

Brittperry89

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hello! My name is Brittany and I am from southern Minnesota. I have been interested in local, organic, and sustainable living. Started think about having some back yard chickens when I found out its not allowed in my awesome little city. So I have decided to try and change that. I have no idea where to begin. A friend from Winona, MN recommended me to this page as they recently passed laws allowing chickens. Any advice on how long I should expect the process to take, how I should go abouts, who should I speak to etc etc etc. THANK YOU! Cannot wait to get to know this community.

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry you are having troubles with the laws. I just can't imagine someone telling me I can't keep my birds! We have a Local Chicken Laws and How To Change Them section here on BYC that may be of help to you. Maybe you can find something here to help you....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

You can also chat with others in your state thread that also may have encountered this issue and can help you as well....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/72771/minnesota

Good luck getting this law changed!! I sure hope you can some day keep poultry in peace. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you some great links to get you started. Hope you are able to get the laws changed and are able to get chickens.

Thank you for all the welcomes! The links are very helpful. I meet with my councilmen and discovered his sister has back yard chickens and he would be in support. :) Things are happening!

Thank you for all the welcomes! The links are very helpful. I meet with my councilmen and discovered his sister has back yard chickens and he would be in support. :) Things are happening!

That's awesome! Stay on it. Be armed with info about the health aspects of producing your own eggs, etc. It's hard for people to not support that in this day and age. It's good you have a supportive council member but be prepared for opponents to the idea too. Be able to educate them on how it can be done in a clean, quiet manner that can benefit families in your city in so many ways. Not only is raising your own chickens for eggs or meat healthier and more humane than buying commercial products, but if you garden, the litter can be composted and used which produces more good for you stuff.
Good luck!! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom