Starting to not think this is a moult anymore..

doghamstyluv95

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2007
One of my hens, Rubooshka went through a moult a few months ago and fully grew back her feathers. Then some of my others started loosing feathers and I figured it was a normal moult but Blackberry, my Australorp has not had any feathers on her back or head since February and I don't think they are in a rush to come in. Most of my other hens don't have feathers on their heads and some don't have them on their backs but none are as bad as Blackberry is. Another reason I don't think this is a moult is because she lays eggs daily, I see her. We haven't noticed a decrease in eggs. In fact, sometimes we get nine eggs out of nine hens in a day. The roosters are perfectly normal. They don't seem to be losing feathers. Everyone is acting normal, eating and drinking. I don't know whats happening so I would really appreciate some help.

We have 2 roos and 9 hens. We weren't supposed to get any roos but you know hatcheries
roll.png
One of our roos is a silkie. He is my baby boy. Such a little sweetheart. But our other roo, who attacks us everytime we come into the coop is a Speckled Sussex. I could care less about him. We have to walk into the coop with a stick because of him. He put a little hole in my leg with those spurs. I guess it could be him thats doing it because I don't see any type of mites or lice on them. What should I do?

The rooster thing is your fault. You need to be the rooster of the flock. Go in there, stare him down, and when he comes at you, push him firmly(dont kill him)on the ground for a few seconds. Keep eye contact and dont show ANY fear whatsoever. I have seen so many GOOD aggressive roosters go to waste because people werent willing to dominate them. The rooster is behaving how you allow him to act. You have to act like a rooster and show him your are the alpha. I know it is hard, but just think about how much more damage you could do to him! My wife had the same problem with our big boy, and now shes fine, and he runs when she sees her. An occasional challenge is normal, but you always know what to do. WIN at all costs. I promise this will work.

Checking for lice is pretty easy too. Grab a chicken(the rooster would be a good one to grab) and hold him by the legs upside down. Check the feathers around the cloaca or vent, and look for little white clumps. If you see them they are eggs. Let me know how it goes, I am determined to help you out!
tongue.png

Thanks for the advice and I'll try to update on how things are going but the problem is if I put my hand anywhere near him, he will start attacking. I can not get any hand or foot near him or else I am a goner. So I'm not sure how pushing him on the ground will work out because he will win. I don't fancy getting a hand full of cuts.

I tried for a very long time to dominate our roo. It did not work! He attacked my son and gave him a good gash just above his eye. I loved tath roo and did everything within my power to try to keep him as part of my flock but he ended up having to be rehomed. We miss him but do what you think is best for you and your family. It does sound like the feather loss is from over agressive mating. Good luck!

Bundle up really good, leather if possible, jacket, gloves, thick pants so that you can really get in there and get him. He needs to learn that you are the boss, and that you're not going to harm his girls. Most of all, if he has long spurs, you should trim them down so that he doesn't hurt you or the girls. They usually have their favorites, and will tend to over-mate them. I had to make saddles for 5 of my hens because of him. Their feathers are growing back now.
smile.png
Good luck... show him who's the boss!!

Back
Top Bottom