Starting to think I have 2 roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sarjeanp, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    Yep. I live in a little farm type town. Animals and critters everywhere!

Aunt Angus likes this.
  2. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    IMO it depends on the roosters. I once had 3 roosters and one hen. They got along famously. One of them sired another rooster, and he made life miserable for me and the other roosters. I gave him a life sentence in isolation and things have gone back to a peaceful state.

Sarjeanp and Aunt Angus like this.
  3. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

True, but he can't possibly be too bad he's adoreable!
    No way you could rehome such a cutie. :)

Aunt Angus likes this.
  4. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    Wow, so much has happened since the last message. Yesterday morning, Penguin (dark grey questionable female) crowed twice with me standing right there. As mentioned before, I have been hearing someone trying to, but shyness kicked in any time I was near. SO, along with everyone here saying Penguin is a boy, it has been confirmed. Here's what's not okay... this morning BOTH cockerels were attacking on particular buff girl. Right in front of me, regardless of my clapping and yelling to get off her, Penguin was on top of her, attacking her neck. This is mating right, and he's not trying to, nor CAN he kill her? They are only 13 weeks, I thought this was too young for that behavior. But apparently not. I can't put the girls through that crap. Ugh. I created another post the same day as I created this thread, on the "illness" forum, and I posted about how one of my buffs is literally missing a spike on her comb, someone pecked it off. Now, I see how. This breaks my heart.

5. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    LOL.

Roosters are absolute monsters when it comes to mating. There's nothing pretty about it. But in all honesty, it's not like they've been given the most optimum configuration for that. They get the work done, though, and frankly, chickens are monsters anyways.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Aunt Angus likes this.
  6. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks, @Sarjeanp and @HenOnAJuneBug . This thread is MOST informative! So 13 weeks isn't too young for the hormone-fueled savagery to begin? I will have to start making arrangements soon, then, lest my little Silkie pullet gets mauled by the 2 boys!

I know young young cockerels are the WORST. Do they ever calm down? Even a little? And if so, at what age approximately?

So much to think about...

7. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks, @Sarjeanp and @HenOnAJuneBug . This thread is MOST informative! So 13 weeks isn't too young for the hormone-fueled savagery to begin? I will have to start making arrangements soon, then, lest my little Silkie pullet gets mauled by the 2 boys!

I know young young cockerels are the WORST. Do they ever calm down? Even a little? And if so, at what age approximately?

So much to think about...

8. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    That sounds like it's going too far to me. I would separate both the roos, at least until they mature a bit more.

Chickassan likes this.
  9. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

They're practicing at 13 weeks ,yes indeed.
    The reason it looks particularly savage right now is because the pullets aren't mature so they resist very loudly lol!
    If they tried it on an adult hen they'd get massacred so they practice on pullets or each other.
    They do calm down, slow process though and it is seasonal peace even when they're pretty old.
    My three year old guy is a gentleman in fall/winter but come spring/summer he's a moody sex pervert.
    The little guy hatched on april fools day is being a dirty little idiot but thats normal. :)
    Edit: I love my boys, sounds otherwise but I do.
    I speak of my hubs of 23 years in the same fashion.

10. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    Haha, you're good... I'm the same. I just ran to the feed store and the man and woman there told me that the boys absolutely can kill the girls. WTH. This is all so sad, I mean, I get that's nature, but man.. nature IS savage. I am going to try to find loving homes for these guys. I have to make sure they won't be food though.

Chickassan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: