Starting Week 2

Buckeye2002

Chirping
Nov 15, 2018
Omaha, Nebraska
I had 25 Rhode Island Reds, but we are down to 23. The rest seem in good health and are very active.
The one question I have is this: How do you get them accustomed to you? They scatter when ever I come near. I have started whistling and moving slowly and the seems to keep them calm. I have tried to hold my hand out (seems like forever) to get them to eat from my hand, but no go. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 599AEF6D-AD29-46D6-8B95-596880ECEAE5.jpeg
    599AEF6D-AD29-46D6-8B95-596880ECEAE5.jpeg
    586 KB · Views: 34
They are prey animals, so anything reaching from above them will cause panic. Just be patient, spend time with them, talk to them (so they become accustomed to your voice) and with time, feeding them treats will help.

They are prey animals, so anything reaching from above them will cause panic. Just be patient, spend time with them, talk to them (so they become accustomed to your voice) and with time, feeding them treats will help.
X2 that’s exactly what you do. Don’t come from above. They’ll think it is some kind of hawk or owl. Talk about anything. Whenever I was having a rough time when they were chicks I would go into the garage and talk to them. They are good therapists!

Mine are starting week two also. If I've recently cleaned the brooder they will flip out, but I put a bucket next to their brooder to sit on. I usually start "clucking" at them, and when I use the "oh look at the cute little baby" voice they cock their heads and look at me. When I hold out a handful of food they race around for a minute and then try to eat the feed dust off my fingers. I think it just takes a little bit of time working with them. I try to sit in there a few times a day just to observe them and interact with them.

I am more proactive when it comes to 'taming' chicks...starting from day one or two.
Pick them up and hold them, they won't like it at first but most will get used to it.
Coming in low to pick them up, and moving as slow as possible but still be assertive and pick them up and keep them from flapping wings, keep them contained in your hands-don't expect them to perch on your finger. Hold them for a few minutes until they calm down, talk softly, be calm, stroke them all over. Repeat this a few times a day.
Some will then let you pick them up but most you'll have to 'get' them.

All chickens have their own individual personalities and some just never get to the point of being cuddly. Seems like most people with large flocks only have a few certain ones that are consistently friendly and become the best "people" companions.
RIR aren't generally the most docile or calm of breeds, but they are great layers!

Here's an interesting article to offer some insight about raising well-adjusted chicks:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/reasons-for-tossing-out-your-indoor-brooder-and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Back
Top Bottom