1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

starving duck help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rockymountain, Nov 25, 2016.

1. rockymountain

rockymountain Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2016
    I haven't seen her on her property since relocating, I kind of would be trespassing. My husband wants me to report her to the sheriff (animal control) for abuse to animals. It's not a good situation, but feel sorry for the ducts remaining. 'There is also a large geese flock as well.

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    That poop looks pretty good, color wise, but it looks a little dry, like he's not getting enough water.

Have you ever taken a dog or cat to a vet? What's the first thing that's done at a vet or Dr. office? It's getting a weight. If you want to give him oral medication you *must* weigh him. Then you need to look at your pills/capsules and figure out if you have enough medication to treat him. If Amoxicillin you need ~56 mg per pound twice a day for 7-10 days.

I think amoxicillin for humans comes in many forms... 250 mg, 500 mg, 800 mg, and 1000 mg, so which ones do you have?

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    If he's not eating or drinking you need to step up your supportive care and start tube feeding. If you don't he will die from dehydration, starvation, or maybe a bacterial infection. If this level of care is too much for you, and you cannot afford a vet, may I suggest that you surrender him to an avian vet or animal control?

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

5. rockymountain

rockymountain Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2016
    In our area they would put them down. You must be old schooled the stronger ones survive. This guy was never given a chance tho from infancy.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Okay, so get busy and get a digital food scale, a 60 ml catheter tip syringe from Tractor Supply, and 16" of aquarium air line, and I'll teach you how to tube.

You still haven't answered my questions about the antibiotics... how mg are they and how many do you have?

-Kathy

7. quackers44

quackers44 New Egg

Nov 27, 2016
    No ducks can not give a desease to chickens and I really wish the duck lives and heals.

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

She did say he ate last night, just not today after his foot treatment... he may just be waiting for it to be quiet and dark, it has been a lot of trauma...

I do agree, if it's too much for you to deal with in getting him healthy again, it *might be* best to see if there's any shelters willing to take him in... and I would definitely think about calling to see if animal control/Humane Society, etc could intervene on the other ducks behalf... not to mention the geese... :(

Yes'm! :D

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    scale
    [​IMG]

10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Sorry, but if a duck has a contagious disease it absolutely can be passed to chickens...

If it is healthy, then of course not...

But the DOW warns about migratory flight paths for a reason...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by