Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Greetings, chicken peeps, NOTE: thus is a long post.

My sweet girl LuMa had two ingrown feather surgeries on her tail last week. I was so sure I was going to lose her, but the incisions are closed, her skin is nice and pink, she’s healing nicely, and there are no “hot” spots.

I have her separated in the hospital coop. Although she is healing, she’s losing weight and the strength in her legs. I give her physical therapy and she does not indicate that she is in any pain.

I am having to feed her water and food. She’s been very quiet. She has been the most vocal of the group since she came here two years ago. She’s less than three years old, has never laid an egg, but is sweet and my roosters constant shadow, so she has a forever home right here in Little Wendigo.

I have researched this at length. There are no indications that there is any illness. She was great during and after surgery. Her symptoms indicate starvation. She just seems so sad. She’s not ready to be back with the flock but I think she is just lonely!

I have been giving her water a few times a day. Today I held her for quite a while and spoon fed her water. At one point she splashed on herself and squawked for the first time in a couple of days.

I brought her inside. My SO always is the giver of the worms. He brought her some and she ate them.

I was so concerned the surgery would do her in. I did it myself. I googled, did research, watched countless videos, got all the needed surgical equipment, medicine, bandages. It was terrifying. I was praying out loud the whole time. She had numerous ingrown feathers on each side. When I was able to get the first one out, I taped her up, gave her some antibiotics, and waited two days to tackle the other. The second one was problematic. The first was already closed and pink. This one was more difficult. It was as if there were several feathers in the same area. Someone was guiding my hands because there was very little blood, and she barely flinched. Getting rid of the feathers must have made her feel so much better.

I had to leave for a day and a half. She was in a safe place, was checked on, had plenty of food and fresh water, but she didn’t eat anything.

I am no expert but I think when I left she felt abandoned. As soon as I returned, I picked her up. Seeing she hadn’t taken sent food or water, I brought her inside and spoon fed her water. I put a bit of cane syrup in it since I didn’t have any molasses, probably an old wives tale but I’m desperate.

I now have her in a nice clean dog crate inside. We’re talking to her and encouraging her to eat. I will make sure she has water before bedtime.

Has anyone else ever encountered this? Earlier she held her head up and just looked at me, as if to say, “You left me!” I’m at a loss…

Did you do this surgery mentioned or did a vet do it?

Not laying eggs is a big sign that something is not right.
Hens lay eggs unless something is wrong or infection has taking over.

Are you willing to learn how to tube feed her?
Is a vet an option?

What exactly have you been feeding her since you've had her? And can you take a picture of the surgery area?

Did you do this surgery mentioned or did a vet do it?

Not laying eggs is a big sign that something is not right.
Hens lay eggs unless something is wrong or infection has taking over.

Are you willing to learn how to tube feed her?
Is a vet an option?

What exactly have you been feeding her since you've had her? And can you take a picture of the surgery area?
Thank you, Kiki,

There are no chicken vets nearby. I did the surgery. I googled it, watched videos, read everything I could find before I did it.

I looked at dozens of pictures ifingrown hairs and how to remove. Vets should do it, optimally, but it had to be done. No treatment could result in bursting, or spreading to her bones. No treatment was not an option.

It was obvious she was in pain from the feather and it was noticeable under her skin. Strangely, there were several other ingrown feathers. I noticed it when she molted and I saw her feathers were taking so long to come in.

I set up a surgical table with everything I would or could need. She had an Epsom salt bath for 15 minutes. I took her out, dried her off, and cuddled her explaining I was going to fix her. I’m sure if anyone was observing, they would think I was nuts!

I made fresh Dakin’s Solution and continually cleaned the spot as I went along.

I made a small incision where I could see the feather. A big piece of it came out. I had different forceps, and tweezers. You should have seen the face of the guy when I told him I needed forceps. He asked why and I told him. The tail is very fatty: it barely bled. After I got the feather out, I had to probe a bit, three pieces of stuff came out that looked like bumblefoot infection.

I tried suture tape but it wouldn’t stick. I clipped the a few feathers and was able to tape it. I used gauze, medical tape, then foam tape over that.

I fed her scrambled eggs day one. She was eating 22% layer feed, some fresh veggies, and mealy worms.

The second one didn’t look as bad. The first surgery took place in late afternoon. The second on the morning of the second day. The first incision had already closed.

This feather was really stuck and there was more than one. I got what I could get, covered it with vetrimycin and bandaged it. I used paper medical tape to close the would. I gave her oral antibiotics for two days. I checked the bandages every day, but kept them on two days. Her tail is nice and pink and both incisions are closed. They are not hot to the touch.

Today I gave her water four times. Her legs seem to be so weak. I fed her, also. The first time she ate about two tablespoons of scrambled egg and a few mealy worms, second time, I gave get chicken food with a few mealys, third time just food.

She has never laid an egg. When I got her she was about seven months old and hadn’t laid. She is a sweet girl and is here just to keep my flock and me happy. I checked in her a bit ago and she was eating. She’s scooting herself around but still not standing.

I’ll try to get a picture when I check on her again. She watched tv with me this afternoon and fell asleep in my lap.

If you feel that her behavior is from sadness or similar emotions/fears, get some Ignatia homeopathic pellets and give to her. It usually only takes a few doses over a couple of days to do the trick. I've had to use it many times for various species of animals. I would also give her some Bach's Rescue Remedy. It's good to always have that on hand for any and all living things.

If you feel that her behavior is from sadness or similar emotions/fears, get some Ignatia homeopathic pellets and give to her. It usually only takes a few doses over a couple of days to do the trick. I've had to use it many times for various species of animals. I would also give her some Bach's Rescue Remedy. It's good to always have that on hand for any and all living things.
Thank you. Where can I find these items? Would any stores carry them or will I have to order?

Is it the Bach’s Rescue Remedy for people that you use? I found it online.

I ordered both. I will try to keep her occupied until then.

I ordered both. I will try to keep her occupied until then.
So sorry I'm late to reply. Yes, people remedies. Glad you found them. They do also make a "pet" version of the Rescue Remedy. It is just made without alcohol, but I've never used it. Animals that can will make a face when given a few drops but otherwise it's not an issue.
I should've said to be very careful when ordering from Amazon. I have and do because of where I am located, so far from any town that has these things. But, I have also found that many times they are not what they say, are diluted, or otherwise suspicious looking, smelling, etc. I just am very careful as to what seller I am purchasing from when using sites like Amazon. It's a learning experience I'm afraid. If your ignatia says "5 pellets" as a dose, you don't need to do that. That's a waste. You can give one pellet as a dose, or, what I find easier with animals is to make a liquid out of a few pellets using filtered water and give the drops. I use my empty stevia glass bottles because they are 2 to 4 ounces each and have droppers. Keep these items as far from cell phones and microwaves as possible. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom