State to State move with flock

Sep 6, 2020
We might be moving out of state. We would like to bring our ducks with us. Looking for anyone with experience with doing do. Is there restrictions/regulations? Can you just move them with you and not notify anyone or is there suppose to be testing done to make sure they are not bringing sicknesses into new state. If so pricing etc. I am going to google search when the move is more serious but thought I would see if there is anyone with person experience first.

We might be moving out of state. We would like to bring our ducks with us. Looking for anyone with experience with doing do. Is there restrictions/regulations? Can you just move them with you and not notify anyone or is there suppose to be testing done to make sure they are not bringing sicknesses into new state. If so pricing etc. I am going to google search when the move is more serious but thought I would see if there is anyone with person experience first.
Sometimes you can't bring certain animals to certain counties/cities. For example in NYC you can't own any farm animals (not even chickens or ducks!) you may have to have a permit too to build a coop as well. If you live in the suburbs you'll have to be more concerned about neighbors complaining about how noisy they are. Just a heads up just in case you do move

Sometimes you can't bring certain animals to certain counties/cities. For example in NYC you can't own any farm animals (not even chickens or ducks!) you may have to have a permit too to build a coop as well. If you live in the suburbs you'll have to be more concerned about neighbors complaining about how noisy they are. Just a heads up just in case you do move
Thank you for your thoughts !!

Around the end of December last year my husband was informed that we were to move across country for his job and he needed to be able to start at the new location by mid February. We bought a house, sold our house and moved across country by the beginning of February (it ended up being 1.5 months from start to finish). Since it was during a covid shutdown everything was well shutdown. We were told that ALL of our local government offices were shutdown except for emergency purposes. In the state we lived in at the time the borders were shut down unless it was work, emergency or well moving purposes. Vets were only available for emergencies and even then booked out. I left it at that and bought (6) 26"x18"x16" plastic dog crates/carriers and a pack of puppy pads. I put two ducks in each carrier which ended up being perfect. They had space that they weren't curled up in balls, but we're snug enough that they couldn't flop around on the drive. Since it was the dead of winter there was no way I was leaving the crates exposed to the cold. Thankfully my father-in-law stored his RV with us that needed to be moved to the new house as well and offered for me to put my ducks in their crates in the RV. I started everyone on Rooster Booster's Poultry Cell the week before we left. We traveled straight through only stopping for gas, food and to check on the ducks. I kept them on the poultry cell for another week at the new house. By the end of week two at the new house they were laying eggs again so I would like to think the move was as less stressful as possible on them.

I have been thinking about how I would do this as well! It's nice to hear of other's experiences! When I was about 12 I had 2 pet ducks in MN. Our family had to move and we left them in the care of someone with a pond and land. I saved up my money, and a few months after our move we had them flown out. They were fine! I don't know if I would be that daring with my ducks now, but a long journey also seems hard.

Back
Top Bottom