Stella's Social Club

We are socked in by smoke this morning. I'll need to stay in for the rest of the day. Feeding the animals and taking some pictures has me short of breath and coughing. Thoughts going out to you guys on the other side of Hwy 49.

Evacuation warning for "the Outingdale community" now, but not an "Order" - River Pines is evacuated, all of Buzzard Gulch Rd and all roads off it, Sandridge Rd is closed, evacuations from there, since yesterday. E16 closed at Gray's Corner, can go into Fair Play but not to Mt. Aukum.

I am watching the ash fall and keeping an eye on yubanet.com/CAFires/SandyCA/php for my evac order.

I do have 22,000 gallons of icky, green, duck & goose water in their pool, in addition to several hoses as long as there is power to my well pump.

Yes, I am one of those idiots who refuse to go until the very last minute. Too many animals here....

I was worried about you. I also have a friend with a home & chickens in Mt. Aukum. How close is the fire to that?
My bull is on loan to someone in Grass Valley, near Lake of the Pines. I hope the fire gets under control. It was so sad to see the house burn on the news.

I am exhausted, having been awake most of the night watching for "light" which shouldn't be visible through the forested area behind my property in the direction of the closest section of the Sand Fire. Ash falling and during the night some burned oak leaves also fell... That's what made me look for any glimmers which could be spot fires. For a while I nervously watched a light bobbing way off up the slope, which I imagined was the neighbor far back there watering/soaking his yard, maybe? Another neighbor told me it was either a fire crew or PG&E spotlight making area checks. Not so sure about that - it did not move like it was following anything. Too freaky for me so I came back inside the house. At least it wasn't a fire incursion. I've walked up the road a bit to talk to the CHP officer staffing the road closure barricade at E16 at Fair Play Road. The fire has not crossed E16 as of yet, although it was rumored to do so yesterday. A couple of my egg customers have called me, some of whom HAVE evacuated either voluntarily or under mandatory orders. They expressed concern about me and my flock. That really touched my heart. I would try to move birds to the Thistle Dew Ranch site (five miles by road from here) BUT the seasonal creek there is the very beginning of Spanish Creek; one arm of the fire is using Spanish Creek to travel. Still a few miles away, but I think residential protection is the order of the day and there isn't enough coop or secured fenced space for all my critters at the Ranch. I am thinking the firefighting efforts will make my Homestead location the safer one. Air tankers are up. I know I am in the "voluntary" evac zone, so I am sitting tight. Capayvalleychick, if your friend is on the "down" side of E16 (AKA Mt. Aukum Road), such as Bertone Rd, or Buzzard Gulch, THAT side of it is in evac zone and in danger. Fire was approaching the Mt. aukum General Store yesterday and the roads are barricaded; you can leave those areas but you can't go back. D'Agostini Road and River Pines were evacuated yesterday. Showcase Estates was voluntarily but strongly urged to evacuate yesterday - Spanish Creek runs through the middle of it. [/SIZE

Last edited:
I know a couple of you have heard this already, I only posted on a couple of other threads..but what a week. I have a mentally handicapped sister that is in a home for this problem. They took some of their residents out to the lake. The lake? She drowned, they revived her enough until the medics got there. When I saw her in the ER..room, she had been inti bated. Nothing from her..she was just there. The dr. gave us all of the scenarios of how she could wake up..or not. A lot of praying going on. She woke up! She has a short term memory thing going on, but she is our Lisa. So thankful for the the nursed in that ICU and how they handled her. So thankful to the Lord for hearing our prayers.
She will go to another place for a while after she gets out of the hospital for therapy, then, I have her moved to a new home. Yes, an investigation is going on! I trusted them to take good care of my sister.
caring-travel-nurse.jpg

Last edited:
I am exhausted, having been awake most of the night watching for "light" which shouldn't be visible through the forested area behind my property in the direction of the closest section of the Sand Fire. Ash falling and during the night some burned oak leaves also fell... That's what made me look for any glimmers which could be spot fires.

For a while I nervously watched a light bobbing way off up the slope, which I imagined was the neighbor far back there watering/soaking his yard, maybe? Another neighbor told me it was either a fire crew or PG&E spotlight making area checks. Not so sure about that - it did not move like it was following anything. Too freaky for me so I came back inside the house. At least it wasn't a fire incursion.

I've walked up the road a bit to talk to the CHP officer staffing the road closure barricade at E16 at Fair Play Road. The fire has not crossed E16 as of yet, although it was rumored to do so yesterday.

A couple of my egg customers have called me, some of whom HAVE evacuated either voluntarily or under mandatory orders. They expressed concern about me and my flock. That really touched my heart.

I would try to move birds to the Thistle Dew Ranch site (five miles by road from here) BUT the seasonal creek there is the very beginning of Spanish Creek; one arm of the fire is using Spanish Creek to travel. Still a few miles away, but I think residential protection is the order of the day and there isn't enough coop or secured fenced space for all my critters at the Ranch. I am thinking the firefighting efforts will make my Homestead location the safer one.

Air tankers are up. I know I am in the "voluntary" evac zone, so I am sitting tight.

Capayvalleychick, if your friend is on the "down" side of E16 (AKA Mt. Aukum Road), such as Bertone Rd, or Buzzard Gulch, THAT side of it is in evac zone and in danger. Fire was approaching the Mt. aukum General Store yesterday and the roads are barricaded; you can leave those areas but you can't go back. D'Agostini Road and River Pines were evacuated yesterday. Showcase Estates was voluntarily but strongly urged to evacuate yesterday - Spanish Creek runs through the middle of it.
[/SIZE

She is under mandatory evacuation. Got all her animals out but had to leave the chickens. Do you know of anyone who could keep her chickens for her? I think there are about a dozen max. She loves them. They have names. She'll be so sad if anything happens to them.
You should not stay if you get evacuated. I know the firefighters do all they can to save what they can. Homeowners who stay behind put their own and firefighters lives at risk.

We've had a mountain fire going. We are surrounded by mountains, down in this valley. Went to open the window, and got smacked in the face with thick smoke smell. Had to shut the window. The wind must have just changed, had been out to let my dog in, no smell what so ever. Then boom.. Saw the fire the next day and all of the copters and planes that were fighting it. What a shame when these fires take out so much beauty. We are wondering about homes of course too. Haven't heard any bad news, so they must have dumped a lot of water in the foothills in time. We have a lake across from the mountain range, easy for them to go get water.

Back
Top Bottom