Step-by-Step Tube Feeding Guide - Pictures - Under construction

You might want to double that.

That is good news!

Try to get no less than 90 ml of water into her.
Is 250mg amoxicillin total per day the right dosage? Does it make a difference if it is 125mg twice a day, or 250mg all at once?

When you say 90ml water, is that spread out over a whole day? She has eaten a lot this morning and I am worried she will overflow if I give so much water at once.

Is 250mg amoxicillin total per day the right dosage? Does it make a difference if it is 125mg twice a day, or 250mg all at once?
250 mg twice a day.
When you say 90ml water, is that spread out over a whole day? She has eaten a lot this morning and I am worried she will overflow if I give so much water at once.
Per day. Spread it out as best you can. 90 ml is the minimum. If she were mine I would shoot for twice that.

250 mg twice a day.

Per day. Spread it out as best you can. 90 ml is the minimum. If she were mine I would shoot for twice that.
Thank you, thank you! How many days is a course of antibiotics? Her poops are getting a little better, but still wet and sort of dark green.

Do you ever tube feed with just one person?

Attachments

• IMG_5445.JPG
    IMG_5445.JPG
    603.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    508.5 KB · Views: 5
They do look a little better. How many ml of fluids are you getting in her?
100ml yesterday (40 in the morning, 60 at night). None so far today because I don't have anyone who can help until later. But she ate half a slice of white bread soaked in water + amoxicillin.

I always tube by myself. :(
Even the large birds? How? I tried to wrap my hen in a towel, but she kept kicking and scratching until her wings came out.

With the chickens, ducks, and peafowl I sit on the sofa with my thighs parallel to the ground. I place them in my lap with their feet on my left thigh and press them down and and against my torso with my left arm. Then with them pressed against my body I take my left hand, extend their neck, and open their beak with my right hand. Once open, I place a finger from my left hand to keep the beak open, then insert the tube with my right hand.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/how-to-open-a-mouth.7429153/

With the chickens, ducks, and peafowl I sit on the sofa with my thighs parallel to the ground. I place them in my lap with their feet on my left thigh and press them down and and against my torso with my left arm. Then with them pressed against my body I take my left hand, extend their neck, and open their beak with my right hand. Once open, I place a finger from my left hand to keep the beak open, then insert the tube with my right hand.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/how-to-open-a-mouth.7429153/
Very helpful, thank you! It looks like the hen is facing to your right hand side? Are you able to get a clear view down the throat from that position, or do you do it by feel? I think I will try this.

Very helpful, thank you! It looks like the hen is facing to your right hand side? Are you able to get a clear view down the throat from that position, or do you do it by feel? I think I will try this.
Yes, facing right, and I do not look, I just feel the tube in the esophagus and crop.

Back
Top Bottom