Newchickiemamma

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2018
Hello there, I’m relatively new at this, my chickens are about a year old and I noticed my golden laced Wyandotte (who recently went broody) has some black spots around her eyes. The black spots seem to be spreading and are now on the waddles, combs and around the eyes of my other chickens. I have four chickens total: 2 Wyandottes (one golden laced and one silver laced) a booted bantam, and a Rhode Island Red). These are all hens.

I was doing some research and I’m going to treat them with Vaseline tomorrow but I don’t know how I’m going to get my girls to stay still while I rub Vaseline on their faces. Any advice would be appreciated! My Rhode Island Red and Bantam are very friendly and will allow me to hold them but the two Wyandottes are very skittish and run away from people. I can’t even pick them up let alone hold them. I think I will be able to get to the golden’s Face since she is broody and won’t leave the nesting box, I can do it while she is in there. I don’t know how I can catch and hold the silver Wyandotte.

Also, is there anything I can do to get rid of these fleas faster? I live in northeastern PA near the poconos and from what I’ve read these fleas aren’t even common in our area so I don’t even know how we got them!

Can these gross things be spread to me and my son and our other animals (indoor cats)?? I am freaking out!!!!

I also noticed the waddles on my golden Wyandotte are getting light in color... is this because she’s broody or is this a major infestation of fleas? I checked her vent for mites and lice and nothing but she is shaking and itching a lot. She also wipes her face on the grass a lot when she’s out to range. Please help! I’m a newbie and I don’t want to lose my flock to these pests!!!

You can use any flea poison. Some work internally by applying to the skin like ivermectin--still works of fleas, lice and mites. May not work one worms

With the sticktight, you might need to tweeze them off.

The flees come from the ground so you will need to clear the bedding and maybe burn it. The coop needs to be treated too.

If they are persistent, you can use beneficial nematodes for the larvae in the soil

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...d=kwd-300683953362&ref=pd_sl_2iedvs8irf_e_p37

How do these work?
I'm not familiar with this.
The beneficial nematodes move through the soil(this type--others stay put) and use the flea larvae as food for their eggs. They then move on to the next host and so on until the host is gone. They do not kill earth worms but are great for killing moth larvae and flea larvae. I have used them for army worms and an Aunt of mine used them for fleas.

Her dog got fleas each time it went out on the lawn. This got rid of them in a couple of weeks

Thank you for the feedback! I just don’t know how I am going to catch my Wyandotte and hold her still to get the treatment on her and the fleas off of her. Any ideas?
Catch her at night after dark. They are very easy to work with then. Get help too. One person to hold her and one to treat and pull off the fleas with tweezers

Back
Top Bottom