Sticky bums

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigbum1984, Mar 1, 2013.

1. bigbum1984

bigbum1984 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    I have 3 lohmann hybrid females, I have noticed in the past couple of days that their bums are looking a bit yucky, their vents are clear but the feathers are all manky.
    They do not perch when they sleep, they have always slept on the straw huddled together (out of choice, there are perches available to them), I clean out their pooh everyday.

This has only recently started and was wondering if anyone could help?
    Could it be where they lay down instead of perching?

2. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    it could be a number of reasons i havent tried it on my chicks yet but i have my bigger birds but try to use acv people swear by it.

3. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    apple cider vinegar 1 teaspoon to a gallon of water im going to start this weekend

4. bigbum1984

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    I've never had chickens before, what does this do? any idea what could be causing it?

5. chickenfinch

chickenfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Minnesota
    One of my chickens had this last spring. I have heard it called pasty butt :tongue I tried getting it off with a warm, damp washcloth with no luck, and ended up having to cut it out it got so bad! The apple cider vinegar sounds like it may work! Good luck!

6. bigbum1984

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    Could it be worms?

7. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Im not sure what its called but i have hundreds of chickens and hatched over 75% of them and ive had the problem alot but i always keep an eye on them pull it off when it gets hard i have recently started the acv and no problems as of yet i have about 40 chicks in the garage in brooders ill let you know if any sticky bums develope..

8. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    how old are the chicks? i dont see it being worms at too early of an age indoors and fresh water daily

9. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    what about heat lamps do you have a heat lamp on your brooder if so try and lift it higher it could be from being too hot!

10. bigbum1984

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    They are 9 months old and outside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by