Sticky chick

motherhen2389

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2016
How do I bath a sticky chick? I assisted if come out since it was glued in its shell and now that it's dry it can't move its wings they are like cemented straight, can I put it under running water? Obviously taking care to keep the beak free

I've seen others give them a bath in warm water, just make sure they don't get chilled by being wet.
Personally I just let the few sticky chicks I have had de-stick naturally over the first days or weeks of life, but it sounds like yours is more severe than mine was -Mine just had little spots; I actually used that and her smaller size to tell her from the other chicks.

I put it under running water last night and used my fingers to sort of 'pet' the gunk off then I put it back in the incubator over night and now it's in the brooder with the rest. I really didn't think it was going to make it past hatch it spent a lot of time on its back just sort of twitching and rolling around but now it's running around like everyone else!

Very nice!
I had one sort of like that, she nearly suffocated in her egg, then once I helped her out she just lay there for an entire day, doing nothing but breathing. Within a week she was running around like the others. That was the sticky one I mentioned before -she's nearly fully grown now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom