Sticky Chick!!!!

kinardmommy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Texas
When this chick hatched I had to help iy. The fluid inside he shell was like glue. Now it is dry and hard. What can I use to get it off??? Please help!!!!

We had a chick hatch that way last month, we had to help him out, and the shell was stuck in pcs on the head and back. We did not want to pull it of for fear of hurting him. Within a week, it had all fallen off tho. He did not seem to notice it stuck to him

It's hair will not fluff it still looks like it's wet but it's not it is hardened. I can't put him in the brooder b/c all he other chicks peck at him. I guess I will try a light Ivory soapy warm water.

Well, I'm no expert...but I just finished a hatch with a few sticky babes. Didn't give them much of a chance. I'm a bit leary of getting them wet and chilled.

I let them completely dry....as you have. I then, very carefully and in stages....held them securely and with the lightest touch, worked at the dried stuff with my fingertip and even my finger nail. Doesn't take much for it to flake off. They're with the rest now, and have almost completely fluffed out.

Good luck....

I have had a couple chicks come out sticky in the past and simply washed them under very warm water. It is important to not let them get chilled but they were so glued together that they would not have made it otherwise.

Richard

Why does that happen?

I had some sticky chicks to that hatched. It was like I dipped them in a bowl of hairspray. Poor things it finally flaked off but I used a dry washcloth and rubbed them to try and help them out.

It is caused by insufficient humidity. That allows too much moisture to evaporate from the egg during incubation. However, it can also happen if the egg is old and has already dried somewhat before setting. That is what happened to me. I received a batch of eggs through the mail and found a couple had air cells that were already almost the size of day 7's. I set them anyway, and even though my humidity was at the proper level, those chicks hatched out very sticky.

Richard

The reason could be due to improper humidity controls or too much ventilation. Here's a great troubleshooting link which is also stickied at the top of this forum to help with hatches.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/trouble.htm#SE

I have found that putting them in the brooder helps them fluff up faster because the other chicks help clean the goop off. Also, while dry, you can sometimes use an eyebrow brush to brush it loose from the chick.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom