Sticky Chicks

I had two hatch like this about 11 weeks ago. They havent lost all their feathers, they are just matted together. THe membrane is hard to remove once it dries, it almost becomes impossible to see.
Both of my sticky chicks had issues. But they are both still alive. I had to hand feed water with vitamins using a dropped for one of them. One had wry neck (or something similar) and one looked like it was a "Mushy chick".
Im amazed they both are still with us.

They also were much smaller, especially the mushy chick, but she has caught up in size at around week 8 and gotten high in the ranks.

They both needed tape on their feet, it was a total nightmare as my first chicken experience, but Im happy that I got this far. Good Luck!

I’m not sure what to do to help them. I’ve added some save a chick to their water to see if it helps, but one is so bad that he can’t stand up. He lays on one side and struggles to stand but it’s almost like one of his legs is paralyzed, so he flops around and can’t stand. I think I may have to euthanize him. :(

Last hatch failed because of too high humidity during the incubation period. Per suggestion I did a dry hatch this time and kept the humidity at 40% until lockdown. With how sick these chicks are I’m wondering if they got a disease or infection. :confused:

I think you did all you could within reason. I'm really sorry to hear about your experience here (and moreso the chicks of course). I'm no expert on chick diseases but the images you posted make me wonder if the heat lamp / heat device in your incubator is too hot and burning them somehow. Any updates on the conditions?

I put a little dollop of Vaseline on their exposed and angry backs, it’s stopped their incessant screams of pain but they are still chirping (just not nearly as loud or frantic as before).

I think the vaseline was a good idea to help with water loss via the inflammed skin, I'd think that would be very irritating for them, especially under a heat lamp; their fluff makes a layer of insulation (for heat and cold). Maybe cover them over? Give them something to snuggle under?

I figured I’d post an update now. All the chicks are fine now. I was told by a chicken raising friend of mine to apply baby rash ointment to their backs and it did the trick, soothed their poor skin and stopped the screaming. :celebrate

They are all beautiful little maran chicks now. Thank you all for the help.

Attachments

• D49F3A62-329C-4DE4-85CC-F3AEF8CEBFC9.jpeg
    D49F3A62-329C-4DE4-85CC-F3AEF8CEBFC9.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom