sticky chicks??????

Ok had two chicks hatch last night and this morning. I went home at lunch to move them from incubator to brooder and both are dry but not fluffy their fluff is hard and matted down. One a little better than the other. My humidity was at 50% then upped to 70% at lockdown.
What can I do? Can i bathe them? What do I use?

Here is the best pick i have

The lighter one I left and by next day it was ok nice and fluffy.
The darker one had shell stuck by its butt so i ran it under warm water and got it off.

Well I thought I would see if anyone replies still to this thread. I just hatch my second batch and I don't have a clue as of now. My first hatch I had the humidity too high and had very big chicks and 5 didn't get out. I remember that my chicks didn't fluff near as quick as I have seen others on here and even had to wash one off. My second hatch I did a dry hatch. Thought everything was going great. Had great air cells. Put 14 in lockdown and raised humidity to 70. I had 6 pips on day 19/20 with all hatching on day 20. I had to help 2 out that had malpositions and another I'm sure just because it looked stuck from what I thought was from me getting in bator. I ended up helping 2 more and had 6 dead on day 20. I had blue wyandottes and blue laced red wyandottes. I lost 2 blue and 4 blr. My 4 blues that made it are good and fluffed and but in the brooder. My 4 blr are so sticky just like you glued them. I just washed all of them and put them back in the bator. 2 are good and normal and one has a bad foot and the other can't get his head right. I don't understand this sticky stuff. I had made sure I had them cleaned the day they hatched and woke up to them so sticky that I had to wash them. Any that pooped had it stuck to them and they couldn't move. Now I felt like this time my temp might have been to high and that is why they hatched so early. Could it be that my temp was too high both hatches and that is why the sticky and my humidity was to high the first group and too low this hatch? I don't know but its crazy how you can have some good and some bad on same hatch and do different stuff and still have some of the same.

Back
Top Bottom