STILL broody

It is an instinct. I let them get over it on their own. Eventually, they will rejoin the flock. The only problem I have seen with that is when they rejoin the flock, the flock does not recognize the hen, and that leads to some pretty nasty hen fights.
There have already been some dust-ups with her sisters, but I think they are rearranging the pecking order. The biggest disadvantage for me to letting her just brood is that she is blocking the other two from getting in the box. Rather than go to the other box or lay elsewhere, they just don't lay! That can't be comfortable.

you are never going to find out if you don't just leave her there! lol

There have already been some dust-ups with her sisters, but I think they are rearranging the pecking order. The biggest disadvantage for me to letting her just brood is that she is blocking the other two from getting in the box. Rather than go to the other box or lay elsewhere, they just don't lay! That can't be comfortable.

They are laying. The problem is, when she gets down to eat and drink, they are using her box to dump their eggs too. I have found, if this isn't taken care of, you eventually end up with some rotten eggs. Never a good scenario.

They are laying. The problem is, when she gets down to eat and drink, they are using her box to dump their eggs too. I have found, if this isn't taken care of, you eventually end up with some rotten eggs. Never a good scenario.
All three have always laid in one specific box. Rarely have I found eggs out of that one box.

Off topic....Auntie? That hen in your avatar....did she steal that stole? She has an awesome beard!
Isn't she a hoot?! Sometimes I have to push back the feathers from her eyes! She is my sweetest hen. Her name is Stella. When my SIL lets his beard grow too high on his cheeks, he says he's beginning to look like Stella!

I have busted up many setting hens and the way i usually do it is to toss said hen into a fly pen (a 5' X 10' pen about 7' high with a roost pole say 5.5 feet tall) with a horny young cock.

He would usually keep the hen sitting on the roost pole for 3 days. In really the rooster is only cooling the hen's backside much the same way as using a broody cell. By acting quickly sometimes she would be laying again in a week.

Day three almost completed. She's in the run with the others at the moment. We built them a huge extension onto the existing run area and she's learning the ropes. I'm keeping an eye on her. If she heads for the box, it's back to lock-up! Please let this be it!

Back
Top Bottom