STILL confused about quail food...

WhiteMountainsRanch

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
I asked, and was told to feed them non-medicated game-bird. So I go to the feed store and no one has anything less than a 50# bag. (I only have two quail). So I start looking around and see dove/ quail mix seeds. I buy a pound of it and give it to them and they hate it. Wont touch it. So I give them some chicken crumbles in the meantime and they love them. So I go back to the store and start looking at game-bird... come to find out there is one with 24% protein, one with 26% protein, and one with 30% protein...

Now I am totally confused. What do I get them?

I understand your confusion! Game bird feed comes in a variety of protein levels. They even go as far down as 12.5% in some lines. Also the protein levels for "STARTER" varies from 26-30% depending on the manufacturer. At least the 3 brands that I'm familiar with.
Either would fine for me, and preferable to chicken feed, at any protein level. There is more to game bird feed than protein levels!

I also understand the quantity issue. If your 2 birds are grown, and as long as you are not expecting top performance, fast growth, maximum egg production, etc., then the highest protein chicken starter/flock raiser formula should be fine. Not the best thing in the world, but fine.

Thank you for the answers. I will go back and get a bag of the game-bird starter. I can always give some to my new Cornish that are coming next week.
smile.png

I feed ALL my gamebird chicks, chicken chicks, and ducklings Gamebird starter....found that it contains all the essential vitamins, minerals, and protein needed for all babies and I have healthy strong adults now
smile.png

Thats what I am starting to do, give it to my Ducks and my Teenage Chicken chicks. Growing out nicely.

I understand your confusion! Game bird feed comes in a variety of protein levels. They even go as far down as 12.5% in some lines. Also the protein levels for "STARTER" varies from 26-30% depending on the manufacturer. At least the 3 brands that I'm familiar with.
Either would fine for me, and preferable to chicken feed, at any protein level. There is more to game bird feed than protein levels!

Joe123 I know you aren't kidding, but your kidding, they actually call a 12.5% protein a game bird feed. That has to be a maintenance or a flight conditioner feed, for the true gamebirds.

But it just goes to show, we have to really pay attention when we are out there buying our feed. I totally agree that there is more to the feed than what the protein % is.​

I feed ALL my gamebird chicks, chicken chicks, and ducklings Gamebird starter....found that it contains all the essential vitamins, minerals, and protein needed for all babies and I have healthy strong adults now

You even feed the regular chicken chicks this feed... I haven't heard of this, is there a benefit, or do you do it just because that is what you are feeding the rest?

I'd like to have not not buy 3 different types of feed...
smile.png

I feed ALL my gamebird chicks, chicken chicks, and ducklings Gamebird starter.

Me too...of course this makes other duck owner's heads explode. "ANGEL WING ARRGGG!!!" yet I don't get angel wing in my ducklings at all. I did have 2 baby quail die so I am not so sure it has quite EVERYTHING. If my goofy hen goes broody again I will be adding some brewer's yeast.​

Just a suggestion on the bag size situation.

Check around there. I have 1 feed store close by that caters to people that have small numbers. They open a 25# or a 50# bag and sell it by the pound. They either sell the rest of the bag after a short time or use it for their own birds. The only reason I even know about this possibility is that is the only bag they had one time when I called on available supply. I don't normally buy my feed there but I do get my scratch there, because of the brand's blend.

Now this feed store does a lot of business and is actually in the city. (City grew up around it.) Has been around forever and is a trusted dealer, but for me a very expensive dealer. But if I just wanted a pound or two at a time, I would buy it that way from this place and not think anything of it.

So you might look for a situation like this. But be real careful, make sure the feed is fresh and not to old and is what they say it is. I could see where there could be real problems with this idea at most feed stores.

I think this is 1 reason people end up having more than just a few birds. To use up a 25# or 50# bag of feed within 2 months. While it is still fresh.

I am actually looking for some females... that will solve the problem!
old.gif

The two boys are together for now, but since the cage is a double I'd like to separate each boy and give them each a girl or two of their own.

Here is a pic of their new home I made for them today!!!
big_smile.png

61023_img_1459.jpg

61023_img_1456.jpg

Back
Top Bottom