Still egg bound?

BaileyPoole

Chirping
Apr 12, 2020
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Why would a duck still act egg bound after passing a soft shell egg? My Rouen hen has been passing 1-2 soft shell eggs a week since spring started and I’m not sure why. She gets calcium supplements in the form of egg shells, oyster shell, and black fly soldier grubs. She will lay a perfect hard shell egg in the morning and then a soft shell egg in the afternoon, then no egg the following day. Like she’s laying the next days egg too early. But anyway- today she laid a normal egg this morning and a soft shell in the afternoon. All evening she was acting egg bound. Lethargic, laying, tail pumping. Any thoughts why? I wouldn’t think anything was left. I don’t have calcium gluconate on hand but plan to get some asap.

Why would a duck still act egg bound after passing a soft shell egg? My Rouen hen has been passing 1-2 soft shell eggs a week since spring started and I’m not sure why. She gets calcium supplements in the form of egg shells, oyster shell, and black fly soldier grubs. She will lay a perfect hard shell egg in the morning and then a soft shell egg in the afternoon, then no egg the following day. Like she’s laying the next days egg too early. But anyway- today she laid a normal egg this morning and a soft shell in the afternoon. All evening she was acting egg bound. Lethargic, laying, tail pumping. Any thoughts why? I wouldn’t think anything was left. I don’t have calcium gluconate on hand but plan to get some asap.
I don't know much about this but... when I'm having trouble I give the hen tums. Especially if she is egg bound.

I have one who seems to be having egg issues. I've been giving calcium gluconate 2x a day. I think some just need more calcium. Might be a defect in her system.

I would definitely try upping her calcium using tums or something similar for a couple of weeks.

I have one who seems to be having egg issues. I've been giving calcium gluconate 2x a day. I think some just need more calcium. Might be a defect in her system.

I would definitely try upping her calcium using tums or something similar for a couple of weeks.
She’s always been my best layer with the thickest egg shells so this is very odd for her. We actually lost one of our other ducks back in February and these two were close. Now I’m wondering if stress could have anything to do with it. I didn’t think of it before but the timing is consistent.

She’s always been my best layer with the thickest egg shells so this is very odd for her. We actually lost one of our other ducks back in February and these two were close. Now I’m wondering if stress could have anything to do with it. I didn’t think of it before but the timing is consistent.
I'm so sorry for your loss....

It could be. I'm certainly no duckie expert, but that does seem possible.

It seems silly to ask but is it okay for them to have the flavored tums? That’s all I have on hand.
I looked online and think that all Tums are fruit flavored: image from the Tums website

1651284494257.png

Try and get the calcium gluconate when you can. Not sure if using Tums is going to work as well as the Cal glu does.
I also have a thing about feeding anything artificial to my family or my animals and I doubt Tums is very natural. Speaking of the food coloring etc.

Back
Top Bottom