Still flappin' my wings!

:yaView attachment 1656756:ya

View attachment 1656755
Wow, thank you! I don't know if we'll prevail. I've already said I'll pluck, process, freeze, and cook but I can't kill. Daughter-in-law says she has, can, and will but I'm beginning to suspect that's a stretch. Hubby says he believes he can, but putting down the pullet severely mauled by the racoon was very hard for him.
I think, just from the title, that the clip on respectful harvest will really help. We're not vegetarians. For my own conscience, that means owning up to the death that means meat on the table. (98% of our meat meals are fowl or fish). If we can't do it - if killing chickens born to our girls isn't something any of us can deal with - I'm going to have to reassess the choices we make about what we eat.
P.s. great other links too! VERY helpful!

Wow it sounds like you're living the dream! Congrats on your new home and chicken adventure!! I'm a maker and aspiring homesteader too! Though we're still in the process of acre-hunting, Oregon is ridiculous expensive, but the climate and local resources are perfect. I've posted some of my artwork in an album accessible on my profile page if you'd like to take a look.

Your flock sounds absolutely gorgeous! And you are so lucky to have such a lovely gentleman rooster. Your plan to raise your own meat is very admirable. I haven't been able to bring myself to do that yet, but I recently came across a wonderful article that gently introduces the process and includes a link to a special YouTube video, which has given me a new perspective on the whole thing. You may be interested:
Pets VS. Livestock & Respectful Chicken Harvest

Here's a few other links you may find helpful:
Predator Proofing
Cold Weather Advisory
Chicken Coop Ventilation - Go Out There And Cut More Holes In Your Coop!

Best wishes and hope you enjoy the site!

Wow, thank you! I don't know if we'll prevail. I've already said I'll pluck, process, freeze, and cook but I can't kill. Daughter-in-law says she has, can, and will but I'm beginning to suspect that's a stretch. Hubby says he believes he can, but putting down the pullet severely mauled by the racoon was very hard for him.
I think, just from the title, that the clip on respectful harvest will really help. We're not vegetarians. For my own conscience, that means owning up to the death that means meat on the table. (98% of our meat meals are fowl or fish). If we can't do it - if killing chickens born to our girls isn't something any of us can deal with - I'm going to have to reassess the choices we make about what we eat.
P.s. great other links too! VERY helpful!
You're welcome! Yes I totally understand about maybe not being able to prevail... it takes a really strong constitution to follow through, and today's conveniences make it so easy for us to just "forget" where our meat comes from. How would we have ever survived a hundred years ago when it was normal practice to just grab a chicken from the yard and process it for dinner? I'm trying to be more conscientious and understand that any chicken raised in my care, had the best life possible, no matter how its life ends.

Back
Top Bottom