STILL had coccidia!! Need some help

BaGAWK!!

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 25, 2011
Philadelphia, TN
hit.gif
I have a pullet, 6-7 months old, who died this morning...It all started when I did a fecal on her 2 wks ago or so b/c she was walking like a drunken sailor with no balance, otherwise she was alert, eating and drinking. She showed up with coccidia and worms at that time so I treated first with Corid x5 days in drinking water since I've read it treats various strains of coccidia vs. Sulmet, and then I gave her her 1st treatment of Valbezan for worms about 5 days after finishing Corid. In between I put ACV in her water to boost her immune system. I witnessed her drinking the medicated water.

Today is 2 days after the 1st Valbezen treatment and she died this morning. She was lifeless, eyes closed, not moving, fluffed up, watery poop intermittent w/more solid poop. Last night she was still trying to walk around unbalanced and flailing, but at least she was eating and drinking and alert, pretty much status quo for how she had been over the last week. She went downhill fast. Well, I took her to work with me b/c she was the worst she's ever been. (she died there later), and did a fecal on her and she showed up with even more coccidia and more worm eggs since before treating her with anything!!

What am I doing wrong? I am cleaning the coop once a week, disenfecting w/Oxine. I guess I will follow up w/Sulmet x5days. Then what about the worms? Why isn't the Valbezan working? Should I try something different? Do I worm first and then Sulmet, or what? No one else is showing symptoms as of now, I hope, I'm at work so can't check.

I am beyond frustration and tears. These are my pets which I love very much, I need some advice...

Hello, BYC member DAWG might be able to help. He really knows his stuff.

I always thought that cocci was a chick killer, and once the chickens get to be about 17 weeks of age, they've built up an immunity to it.

One thing I'm wondering....Cocci can cause intestinal irritation, which could lead to infection, and sometimes I think you might need an antibiotic along with the Corid. Maybe try if you have another pullet become ill. Tylan powder is the antibiotic I use if I have a severe problem.....

Good luck to you and so sorry for your loss,

Sharon

When I first brought my chicks home they had cocci from a feed store that was less than clean. Then the watery poop got worse and they started moving slower. We switched to medicated starter from organic, that didnt help. Did a week of garlic water, it helped a tiny bit, at least they weren't getting worse. I was trying to think of what else I could give them short of a vet visit ($200 around here) and I remembered a bottle of colloidal silver a friend had given me to try. He swears by the stuff. Anyway, I gave them a water container that was about 1/4 of it and 3/4 water (it was labeled 6ppm silver) and changed their bedding.

Within 2 days they all looked better, with proper poop. Since then I switched them back to organic feed and they are about 3 months and doing amazing.

I honestly was amazed at how fast they turned around.

My .02

Both cocci and roundworms can over time with exposure develope immunity to medications that previously killed or reduced their growth rate. In respect to controlling cocciodosis, Corid is often less effective than Sumlet but with the latter the bird needs to be in good shape otherwise the treatment itself will stress and potentially kill bird as well. Ivomec can be very effective against worms but I am not sure it is labelled for use with chickens. Same with Valbezen.

Corid treats all 9 types of cocci, sulmet only treats 2 types of cocci. Valbazen kills ALL known worms that chickens can get including flukes, it is the best wormer on the market. I'm sorry to say that your pullet was already too weak and overwhelmed by the cocci protozoa in conjunction with the worm infestation for any type of medications to be effective. You did everything you could to save her. Sorry for your loss. Consider worming the rest of your flock. Worm eggs are shed onto the ground to be picked up by your other birds. I would worm them now, reworm them again in 10 days with another dose of valbazen.

Corid treats all 9 types of cocci, sulmet only treats 2 types of cocci. Valbazen kills ALL known worms that chickens can get including flukes, it is the best wormer on the market. I'm sorry to say that your pullet was already too weak and overwhelmed by the cocci protozoa in conjunction with the worm infestation for any type of medications to be effective. You did everything you could to save her. Sorry for your loss. Consider worming the rest of your flock. Worm eggs are shed onto the ground to be picked up by your other birds. I would worm them now, reworm them again in 10 days with another dose of valbazen.

Dawg, I was hoping you would chime in! Do you know if Valbazen kills all stages of all worms, so eggs, larva and adults? I plan to worm the whole flock tmrw, I wormed her 1st as I didn't have time to do the whole flock at the time. But tmrw is my day off so I will also thoroughly clean and try to dry out the coop. I think that's part of my problems, the weather had been so wet lately and it doesn't help at least with the cocci.

Soooo...how do I get rid of cocci and worms on the ground? Do i have to move my coop, but I'm secretly hoping no one will recommend this bc their coop is in the best spot for hawk protection now.

Dawg, I was hoping you would chime in! Do you know if Valbazen kills all stages of all worms, so eggs, larva and adults? I plan to worm the whole flock tmrw, I wormed her 1st as I didn't have time to do the whole flock at the time. But tmrw is my day off so I will also thoroughly clean and try to dry out the coop. I think that's part of my problems, the weather had been so wet lately and it doesn't help at least with the cocci.

Wormers will not kill eggs, this is why you must worm a second time 10 days later to effectively kill larva hatched from eggs inside the chicken. The second worming ends their lifecycle. The exception would be tapeworms and gapeworms which may require a third or fourth dosing.

Soooo...how do I get rid of cocci and worms on the ground? Do i have to move my coop, but I'm secretly hoping no one will recommend this bc their coop is in the best spot for hawk protection now.

No need to move your coop. You cant get rid of cocci nor worm eggs in the soil, they're everywhere. If you lived in a cold or mountainous climate, there would less chances for your birds getting infected. Your environment plays a big role as to how often you should worm your birds. I've added sand in my pen, it is covered too. Keeping everything as dry as possible is key into keeping the parasite load down, but wont completely eliminate them. Cecal worm eggs can survive in the soil for several years. I worm my birds every 3 months, our soil is very condusive for worms just about year round. I toss alot of eggs, but I still get plenty as well. A small price to pay for healthy chickens.

No need to move your coop. You cant get rid of cocci nor worm eggs in the soil, they're everywhere. If you lived in a cold or mountainous climate, there would less chances for your birds getting infected. Your environment plays a big role as to how often you should worm your birds. I've added sand in my pen, it is covered too. Keeping everything as dry as possible is key into keeping the parasite load down, but wont completely eliminate them. Cecal worm eggs can survive in the soil for several years. I worm my birds every 3 months, our soil is very condusive for worms just about year round. I toss alot of eggs, but I still get plenty as well. A small price to pay for healthy chickens.

Ok, excellent. Looks like I am resigned to worming and treating for coccidia as much as you are! Why did the corid treatment not work on the pullet that died? Was her infection too far out of hand?

I can do my own fecals all day everyday at work, but I still have to pay for them
roll.png
...almost worth getting my own used microscope and equipment for as much as I want to play with poop.

Back
Top Bottom