Still new to chickens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by snooptwomey, Aug 29, 2011.

1. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    Got my 2 red sex links i think just over 2 months ago and I just noticed something on them yesterday. The right side of their chest seemed to hang lower than the left and when i felt it, it felt like a fluid sac. It was like that on both of them so I figured it might be normal(I just dont know what it was), and this morning I didnt see it on either. Can anyone explain this to me?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That would be the crop. That's where the food goes to be digested......kind of like a stomach. [​IMG]

3. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    Thank you! I was kind of scared it could have been something bad since i never noticed this lol

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I remember when I thought there was something wrong with my first chicks..... Did the same thing as you and came to BYC, very worried about "neck tumors.". An experienced BYCer reassured me it was a full crop and not to worry unless it was still there in the morning (because she bet it was a full crop, which would empty overnight).

She was right. And that's what you just learned, too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    it is large in the evening after a day of eating, it should be gone by morning....!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by