Still no eggs... Are we wrong?

PREPPYGURL46

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2023
Hello all! Petunia and Lilac should be laying by now šŸ¤” At our count, they are 23 weeks old Barred Rock pullets. But not a single egg. My husband is convinced Lilac is a rooster (long story but we were sold 3 young roosters when told they were older pullets so we are very on edge about this whole thing šŸ˜†). Petunia has a much lighter face, smaller crown, almost non-existent waddles while Lilac is the opposite. They both have very fluffy bums. No spurs on either. Lilac is constantly making a low whine coo noise when we talk to her. Petunia is very quiet.

We did have some stress that involved a dog, a fox and the loss of their sister that I wonder if the stress is contributing to the lack of eggs (we are trying to get a few more friends for them but no luck yet). What's your opinion?

Lilac
20230307_142320.jpg

Both, Lilac in back
20230307_142256.jpg

Petunia
Mar_7_2023_2_35_45.jpg

Attachments

• 20230307_142307.jpg
    20230307_142307.jpg
    902.1 KB · Views: 3
I'd give them a couple more weeks, they're still pretty young. Wattles and comb seem to be getting pretty red, especially on Lilac, so she's getting close

Hello all! Petunia and Lilac should be laying by now šŸ¤” At our count, they are 23 weeks old Barred Rock pullets. But not a single egg. My husband is convinced Lilac is a rooster (long story but we were sold 3 young roosters when told they were older pullets so we are very on edge about this whole thing šŸ˜†). Petunia has a much lighter face, smaller crown, almost non-existent waddles while Lilac is the opposite. They both have very fluffy bums. No spurs on either. Lilac is constantly making a low whine coo noise when we talk to her. Petunia is very quiet.

We did have some stress that involved a dog, a fox and the loss of their sister that I wonder if the stress is contributing to the lack of eggs (we are trying to get a few more friends for them but no luck yet). What's your opinion?

Lilac
View attachment 3424761

Both, Lilac in back
View attachment 3424762

Petunia
View attachment 3424763
Pullets.

Are they doing that hen squat thing? For me, that was the biggest tell my hens were about to lay. But yeah, those are hens! Probably just taking their time.

Are they doing that hen squat thing? For me, that was the biggest tell my hens were about to lay. But yeah, those are hens! Probably just taking their time.
They don't do the squat! That was my hesitation. They will just duck to the side once they are sure you don't have snacks.

Back
Top Bottom